How to find count of employee's/count of names of employee's as per first character

• Hi all,

Suppose, I have employee table in which i have Employee Name stored in one column.

I want to calculate count of employees as per first character(Alphabetical Count).

In that i want to show the output as

Alphabet Count

A

B

C

D

E

F

X

Y

Z

& IN COUNT THEIR RESPECTIVE COUNT.

I wrote a query as follows

select SUBSTRING(Name,1,1),COUNT(*)

from Emp

group by SUBSTRING(Name,1,1)

This query gives me output, But not the required output.

It gives me output for all character.But don't give me count of some characters which are not there in table.

Means suppose if there is no employee whose name starts with 'X' then in output it doesn't give me count of char 'X'.

I want if there is no employee with any character like 'X' then it should show me 'X' and the count for that character as ZERO.

How can i achieve it?

Thanks in advance.

Roshan

• GROUP BY takes all the results in the table and aggregates them. It has no way of knowing about any data which doesn't exist.

If you want to achieve your results, the best bet is to create a new table that just stores letters. You can make this a temp table in your procedure.

Then once you have this letter table, make your query like:

select Letter, COUNT(Name)

from #Letters

LEFT JOIN Emp ON SUBSTRING(Name,1,1) = Letter

group by Letter

• kramaswamy (7/7/2011)

select Letter, COUNT(*)

from #Letters

group by Letter

SUBSTRING is not SARGable, so it's better to write this using LIKE.

select Letter, COUNT(*)

from #Letters

LEFT JOIN Emp ON Name LIKE Letter + '%'

group by Letter

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• *Slight correction to post, sorry, forgot that you need to COUNT(Name) instead, that way you'll get the 0 results for the ones that don't have any records.

• Since this is a rather strange requirement, may I ask if this is ome kind of homework?

Anyhow, you'll need a table (or subquery or CTE) with all character values you'd like to report against (I don't know if you want to differentiate upper and lower case or not). Use this data in a left join.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Thanks for reply...

It worked out.

But can't we have any other way without using a temp table.

If possible..

Actually, I wrote one more query it worked out as per my requirement but its too long.

select 'A' as Alphabet,count(Name) from emp where Name like 'a%'

union

select 'B' as Alphabet,count(Name) from emp where Name like 'b%'

union

same till character Z

So it became 26 qurie union. But i don't think it would be efficient.

So i am searching for any other technique without using a temp table.

• Like LutzM said, you could use a CTE instead if you'd like, or make a physical table with the data. But bottom line is you need some way of telling the procedure, that there are other letters that exist beyond the ones that are contained in your table.

• Create a new table and store the alphabets, and by the following query u must get ur output....

select Letter, COUNT(Name)

from #Letters

group by Letter

Regards,

Arunkumar

MCTS - SQL Server 2005

• Again though be sure you don't use COUNT(*), since that will return a value of 1 even if the LEFT JOIN produces no results. Use COUNT(Name).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply