How to calculate income tax based on tax slab?

• Hi guys,

I am stuck with a task with not getting there?

I want to calculate income tax based on a taxation system. The thing is for a specific amount say $45000 for example, the tax would be $6895.00 as per below :

Income Tax Rate                                                                                     Income                                                                Tax

Income up to $14000, taxed at 10.5%                                                   $14,000.00                                                           $1470.00
    Income over $14000 and up to $48000, taxed at 17.5%                      $31,000.00                                                           $5425.00
    Income over $48000 and up to $70000, taxed at 30%                         $0.00                                                                    $0.00
    Remaining income over $70000, taxed at 33%                                    $0.00                                                                    $0.00

Total                                                                                                         $45000                                                                 $6895.00

Can someone please help me on how can I implement it in SQL query? Thanks a lot in advance. 🙂 

• Duplicate post, see How-to-calculate-income-tax-for-a-slab-based-taxation-system

• Please refer to this same duplicated post for your reference. It will strongly urge you to make this table driven rather than hard-coding any of this.  If we know anything, it's that taxes always go up!

You can look at the examples and see to it.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/how-to-calculate-income-tax-for-a-slab-based-taxation-system

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS #tax_brackets;

CREATE TABLE #tax_brackets (

income_minimum decimal(9, 2) NULL,

income decimal(9, 2) NOT NULL,

tax_rate decimal(5, 4) NOT NULL

)

INSERT INTO #tax_brackets (income, tax_rate)

VALUES(14000, 0.1050),(48000, 0.1750),(70000, 0.3000),(9999999.99,0.3300)

--dynamically determine the lower range for each tax bracket based on the values

--in the table, i.e. NOT hard-coded.

UPDATE tb

SET income_minimum = ISNULL(tb_min.income, 0)

--SELECT *

FROM #tax_brackets tb

OUTER APPLY (

SELECT TOP (1) tb_min.*

FROM #tax_brackets tb_min

WHERE tb_min.income < tb.income

ORDER BY tb_min.income DESC

) AS tb_min

SELECT 'just to see the tax brackets' AS msg, * FROM #tax_brackets

SELECT 'actual tax calcs' AS msg, id,

MAX(data.income) AS income, SUM(taxable_income * tax_rate) AS total_tax_due

FROM ( VALUES(1, 12000),(2, 36500),(3, 67200),(4, 112000) ) AS data(id, income) /*sample income amounts*/

INNER JOIN #tax_brackets tb ON data.income > tb.income_minimum

CROSS APPLY (

SELECT CASE WHEN data.income >= tb.income THEN tb.income - tb.income_minimum

ELSE data.income - income_minimum END AS taxable_income

) AS alias1

GROUP BY id

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply