How to Build a Windows Server 2008 Failover Cluster on Cheap Hardware for a Home Lab

• shew (8/29/2011)

Thanks, that helps a lot. I plan to check this out after I get home from work.

😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry,

I didn't get a chance to spend much time on the cluster build tonight (too much grass to cut... 🙁 ). But, I did get a chance to download and install the SolarWinds IP Address Tracker. It's pretty slick. Thanks for the tip.

• Bulding a cluster on cheap hardware is really not a big issue, and I really recommend it for anyone planning to work seriously with clustering. On Windows Server 2003 you could either use a shared scsi disk (even a virtual one under Virtual Server 2005) or virtually an iSCSI San (I tended to use OpenFiler).

With Windows Server 2008 however, you have a bit more limited options, as Windows Server 2008 require the SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation Command, which for instance OpenFiler did not support (I've not checked lately). What you can use however is Microsoft iSCSI Target 3.3 or you can try the iSCSI target in FreeNAS.

The really important part of clustering, which I see quite a few struggle with, is minimizing the downtime during operations like patching and so on. This can be practiced in a virtual environment as good as a physical. You can even practice on upgrading hardware (such as memory), by doing so at one of the virtual machines at a time. You can practice on replacing a LUN if you like, resizing luns and partitions. Just play with it.

Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - Facebook - Twitter

Concatenating Row Values in Transact-SQL[/url]

• okbangas (8/30/2011)

or you can try the iSCSI target in FreeNAS.

that's exactly what my guide uses 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply