How to be a Good DBA - Strategy and Tactics

• What is interesting in my place of employment is that the Database Technologies department is broken up into three sections:

Systems DBA : Primarily responsible for Installing SQL Server, Creating Logins, monitoring performance in environments outside of development.

Production DBA: Primarly responsible for deploying scripts to the production databases.

Development DBA: Primarily responsible for database creation, script creation, physical designs and coding standards.

I come from a programming background and am now a development DBA. With that separation I was, and to some extent still am, worried that I might loose some of the skills that the Systems DBA handle.  Some of the things that I would be responsible for in a smaller shop.  Not sure but the article looks focused on being a complete DBA in a small to medium shop setting.

• Even some larger organizations have DBAs wearing all the hats. They may make a separation that says, "Because you were the DBA assigned to development in this project, you can't be responsible for promoting the changes into production." But otherwise, all DBAs are expected to maintain similar skillsets.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Great Article, I have found it invaluable having been a programmer and rising up thru the ranks to be a DBA.

• Brilliant - a great guide to the responsible and dangerous world of SQL Server DBA Management

• The article was very informative, but I would like to rephrase the below clause in modern terms.

When combining VBScript with DTS and SQL-DMO, I bet almost all administration work can be scripted and automatically run under a schedule

With just T-SQL, SSIS packages and Powershell scripting (no more VB Script), u can do almost anything with SQL Server.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply