How to add a third replica to an availability group on a failover SQL cluster

• Hi,

This is my current scenario:

SQL Server Failover Cluster (SQL Server 2014) , two nodes N1, N2, Active /Passive

SAN Storage (Primary)

I will have :

(Secondary SAN Storage - Secondary Replica)

(Third SAN Storage - Third Replica)

As a result I will have three copies of the same Data cross three SANs.

Besides the sql server failover cluster (2 nodes , N1, N2), I will configure two extra stand alone SQL Servers N3 pointing to the Secondary and N4 pointing to the Third SAN storage, I will Add the N3 and N4 as part of the Windows Failover cluster

I have always read info about creating one availability group with a Secondary Replica, in order to add a third replica, what do I have to do?

Can I use the current availability group, is that possible?

Should I need to create a second group listener ?

Thanks for your advice!

• I have to admit I have failover clusters and availability groups but not together.

I have heard that you can use a failover node as part of the availability group.

You would need to add your new nodes to the cluster first - the sql install for AG is a standalone install - not a cluster install.

I'm guessing once you have that you can then configure the AG.

It is a bit overkill having a failover cluster as a node and I think one of your nodes would have to be a secondary - not sure how the failover decides what to do.

I don't think you can add two readers to a single node, one would have to be a node to fail over to, the third machine could then be a reader.

best I can do, I've not really considered using a failover cluster as a node.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• APA0876 (3/29/2016)

Hi,

This is my current scenario:

SQL Server Failover Cluster (SQL Server 2014) , two nodes N1, N2, Active /Passive

SAN Storage (Primary)

I will have :

(Secondary SAN Storage - Secondary Replica)

(Third SAN Storage - Third Replica)

As a result I will have three copies of the same Data cross three SANs.

Besides the sql server failover cluster (2 nodes , N1, N2), I will configure two extra stand alone SQL Servers N3 pointing to the Secondary and N4 pointing to the Third SAN storage, I will Add the N3 and N4 as part of the Windows Failover cluster

I have always read info about creating one availability group with a Secondary Replica, in order to add a third replica, what do I have to do?

Can I use the current availability group, is that possible?

Should I need to create a second group listener ?

Thanks for your advice!

Start with my stairway series here on SSC and post back if you're still stuck

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/112556/[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply