How Oslo can you go?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item How Oslo can you go?

• Actually, when I broached this very subject with that product team, they told me "This isn't for DBA's. they just do admin work." sigh.

Buck Woody
    MCDBA, MCSE, Novell and Sun Certified

• I think that the last few lines of that article highlight the big problem - Developers want to store objects, and DBA's want nice clean lists. Neither side are entirely wrong, but if you follow the object model _at all_ then the database must be a simple black box to the upper levels.

Throw away your pocket calculators; visit www.calcResult.com
  • I was disappointed by the backlash from this. It seems there are some architects and developers that are concerned this won' allow them to work on problems in other platforms, and that's valid. But I'm not sure that's the case. SQL Server is just the storage mechanism, if I read this correctly. It will continue to be enhanced to be a general modeling tool.

I had hoped it would allow developers to learn a bit more about how to model things and build better database schema based on their models. I guess time will tell.

• Then tell me your thoughts on this: http://blogs.msdn.com/buckwoody/archive/2009/11/30/aren-t-dba-s-just-system-admins-for-databases.aspx

Buck Woody
    MCDBA, MCSE, Novell and Sun Certified

• I also had a conversation with the product team back in January 2009 the product FAQ was saying Cascade Delete is operational was a mistake. This is a very bold move by Microsoft telling object snobs remoting and related technologies may scale better with intermediate persistence which is the reason for all the noise from people paid to create complex objects.

I also told them I will port OSLO to Oracle in one month at the time so now I think the work will move to automated SSIS services consuming DBMS vendor agnostics WCF services. This makes enterprise development almost a simple task.

In Data Microsoft moves are mostly reaction to new products on the market and industry changes.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply