How many number of records does SQL SERVER 2000 supports

• HI

I want to know as how many number of records does SQL server 2000 EE supports.I have 16 lacs records now and may increase to 1 lac records every month,does SQL server 2000 EE supports this number of records or i have to upgrade to SQL SERVER 2005 or 2008 or to Oracle.

Please reply me ASAP.

with regards,

Vinoth Kumar,DBA.

• I would like know few things like

1) Operating system

2) RAM size

3) Service Pack

4) Disk space

• I don't believe there are limits to number of rows (laks = 100,000 -right??). I have tables with 500 times that amount and don't have issues (I'm running SQL2K, sp4). Performance may become a concern, so watch/optimize your indexes. Determine if there is (or can be) an archiving strategy. SQL can handle multi-terabyte databases so I don't see a need to rush off to Oracle. Upgrading to 2005 will provide some new functionality but 2000 should still handle it nicely. And as haidhk stated, look at hardware contraints (disk space, disk speed, # of CPUs, memory, etc.) that may also hinder performance. Also, check your physical layuot of your database - Data on separate disk from logs, tempdb on it's own set of drives. Bottom line, 100,000 rows of data a month shouldn't be an issue.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Check the following...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa933149(SQL.80).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143432.aspx

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• At some point I have a table with 3.8 bln records and it works fine on SS2000 Ent.

Reindexing take long time though, then I had to do shrinking which took almost a day.

Total size of table was 180GB and all regular ms queries to find out the row number stopped working there of course...

But there was always a work around. After we did archiving total row number was about 40 mln...which was like a breeze...

• Thanks

with regards,

Vinoth Kumar,DBA.

• Thanks

With regards,

Vinoth Kumar,DBA.

• DEAR NO ISSUES REGARING THIS I HAV A TABLE WHICH CONTAINS MORE THAN 300 GB OF DATA ....... FOR PERFORMANCE U JUS DROP UR INDEXES AND RECREATE IT .... AS 1 OF MY NON CLUSTERED INDEX GOT :w00t: (CORPT) I HAVE DROPED THT INDEX AND RECRETED IT OKZZZZZ...

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply