How enforce the changes in dependent procedures

• Hi All,

I have two procedures Sp1 and Sp2. The Sp1 is calling from Sp2. If there come new parameters or removed from the first procedure Sp1 then it will effect the Sp2 and its execution will break if required changes not done. So I want that when any changes making in SP1 then i need alert about the Sp2 changes.

• What about a DDL trigger that would fire up on ALTER_PROCEDURE and if it is sp1 then inform about updating sp2. I can't think of other way at the moment.

• Not exactly what you want, but in SSMS you can right-click on a proc in Object Explorer and select 'View Dependencies' to see what depends on the proc (or what the proc depends on).

A more robust solution is to create a Visual Studio database project and to use the 'build' functionality to detect such issues before they get deployed.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Have a full deployment testing process that builds your test scripts and test databases from a source control system. That way you can ensure that what you're deploying works and has all the necessary dependencies prior to deployment.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply