How do you deal with disappointment?

• Perhaps, given the specifictys of the article and follow up quotes it would be best for all concerned if the article and thread were removed from this site.

The intent was valid, the execution is a bit of a whoopsie

• BobAtDBS - Monday, May 14, 2018 2:31 PM

Can someone explain to me the difference between the horrible, trendy neoword "rearchitected" and the simple, elegant, perfectly adequate word "redesigned" please?  I'm fine with folks that need an ego boost calling themselves a database architect, but you don't architect things, you design them. Is there some subtle difference that I am missing?

Sure. Rearchitecting is more closely related to reengineering, while redesigning is closer to refactoring. :satisfied:

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:26 AM

BobAtDBS - Monday, May 14, 2018 2:31 PM

Can someone explain to me the difference between the horrible, trendy neoword "rearchitected" and the simple, elegant, perfectly adequate word "redesigned" please?  I'm fine with folks that need an ego boost calling themselves a database architect, but you don't architect things, you design them. Is there some subtle difference that I am missing?

Sure. Rearchitecting is more closely related to reengineering, while redesigning is closer to refactoring. :satisfied:

Groan 🙂

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• David.Poole - Monday, May 14, 2018 2:41 PM

Perhaps, given the specifictys of the article and follow up quotes it would be best for all concerned if the article and thread were removed from this site.

The intent was valid, the execution is a bit of a whoopsie

I'm glad it's still here, at least I get to steal the term "a bit of a whoopsie".  Thanks!

• I am of the belief the employee in charge of maintaining and supporting the printer engine should have said on many occasions there is a problem here that needs to be addressed and recommend a rewriting.
    Often managers relay on their employees to bring problems to their attention and offer solutions, instead of just punching the clock for a paycheck.

• It would be interesting to hear the printer engine programmer's point of view.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• There's a lot of difference between being disappointed (the meeting didn't have treats) and being excluded (the project I've been working on for the last six years is on the board for a redesign and I'm not included).

I agree with the comments that a better example could have been chosen. Being in the minority for a decision is a disappointment. Not getting the tasks you want is a disappointment. Not being invited to lunch is a disappointment.

Taking time to process a situation isn't sulking. For some people it's their way of coping in a professional manner. Just because it's not your way doesn't invalidate it.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply