How can I be a great DBA?

• Hi everyone 😀

I want to learn more about being a DBA, what should I do?, where can I go to.

I like all about DBA´s, at shcool I learned somethings, right now I am working in analysis and programming software on VB and SQL. Here the DBA don´t have a lot of expirence and some of them didn´t study all the basics. Right now I am in some problems, I run a sp from vb, first I write them on QA I check the time and everything, then I put it on a sp and try it again, whet it works all right I call it from VB. Last week the sp run on 16 to 20 minutes. But this week it takes almost 40 to 45 minutes. We know that DBA´s move something or did something, but unfortunalley they don´t know or don´t remember. My boss told me that if I can make som suggestions or write something about on how thy have to work it´ll help us on our system.

This makes me feel good, because they are giving me a chance to learn something that I like it and that I know (a little or the basics)

Please help me 😀

Thaks to all, have a great day

Ana

Ana

• Keep reading on this site. We are all a collection of DBAs and try to provide guidance and advice.

Please also feel free to email any of the authors and let us know if there are specific topics you would like to know more about.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Thanks Steve 😀

How can I start, I think the problem I mention is because of something about the log, do you think so?, how can I start looking what it is?, sometimes I fill that I don´t know anything and need and want to learn more and more everyday.

The problem is:

Last week the sp run on 16 to 20 minutes. But this week it takes almost 40 to 45 minutes. We know that DBA´s move something or did something, but unfortunalley they don´t know or don´t remember. My boss told me that if I can make som suggestions or write something about on how thy have to work it´ll help us on our system.

Ana

Ana

• There are a few things that can happen. Check the stored procedure in QA. Does it still take 40min?

If so, try sp_recompile on the stored procedure and re-run it. Check the time.

Next check the data sets. I realize you many not have it from the previous week, but if the size of the data changed, this can affect it.

Also, indexes could have changed. Some thigns you can do is note the indexes that are used by your stored procedure and the sizes of the tables when you compile it. Then compare this later when you have problems.

you can also post code and we will look at it.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Hi steve, I made the sp_recompile with the SP, but it took only 37 minutes. So I compare the data sets, and on the previous weeks we were working with more records than today. I will try the other thing you said but, sorry if I ask, How do I check

" Also, indexes could have changed. Some thigns you can do is note the indexes that are used by your stored procedure and the sizes of the tables when you compile it. "

The other thing I did is identify the part of the SP that is taking so long, and discover that is just a part, so I´ll try to do it again, it is because this SP I didn´t make it, but I have to ask what does this part do and undestand it so I´ll make it again.

If you have more ideas, please help me. I´ve been reading a lot and searching on the web and on the site, what book do you recommend me?

Thanks a lot 😀

Ana

Ana

• I just want to share mine. Try to create a profile to find a worst performing queries. Capture event SQL:BatchComplete and RPC:Complete and set the duration to greater than time that you got with your QA. Then run Index Tuning Wizard. I work with my problem.

• SQL Server doesn't audit indexes, so you can only check which indexes there are now. If you post the section of the stored procedure that is slow, we can try to help. Also, check the indexes on the tables used in the queries in the stored procedure. You may want to run these queries outside of the stored procedure in Query Analyzer one a time. Set the "Show Exectution Plan" option (CTRL-K) and look for tables scans or index scans. Or anything that takes up most of the time.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Thanks Steve, I don´t know what is wrong, I try to rewrite the query the part that I had the problem. Than I had to pass the DB to production, so the DB was new and everything so I try ther my sp and took it only 14 minutes, can you believe it?. Then I was helping the DBA becuase something wrong with the linked servers and something else. Today we try the same sp in test and took it 10 minutes I don´t know what was wrong. But I´ll be looking for some error like that because I don´t trust the DBA of here. You all are GREAT.

Do you know a book that I can use so I can learn more and more and more please

Thaks 😀

Ana

Ana

• You are welcome. Glad we could help (if we did). You might try Inside SQL Server or Advanced T-SQL Programming or the Guru's Guide to T-SQL. All are listed in the Products section.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I'd suggest considering a couple others; Admin911 by some guy named Brian Knight and another about prepping for the SQL 2000 Designing exam by Mr Jones himself.

Shameless plug!

Andy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply