Help query to select latest date row

• Hi Guys

I have the data below  ( this is an example) and i am trying to create a query to pull the data to show the latest status of the city, i am struggling to do this

so from the data above (this is an example , new daily data is added every day) i need a query to show the latest row for each city only , so the below should be the rest

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you

• Use the MAX function on the date, and group by the columns that uniquely identify the city.

Put that in a subquery, and join the table to the subquery on all the columns and the MAX date value.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Thank yo for this max but i don't fully understand what you mean?

• SELECT[Date]
    , city
    , area
    , Status
    FROM
    (
    SELECT[T_City_RowNumber] = ROW_NUMBER()
    OVER
    (
    PARTITION BY city
    ORDER BY [Date] DESC
    )
    , [Date]
    , city
    , area
    , Status
    FROMMyTable
    ) AS T
    WHERET.T_City_RowNumber = 1

EDIT : I had to remove the square brackets around the column names because the formatter ate them ... so you will need to put them back for column names like [Date]

EDIT2: OK, managed to put [Date] back without formatter gobbling the others. Dunno if any other columns are reserved words ... but if so they will need square brackets

• Michaels suggestion was probably this

SELECT[Date] = MAX([Date])
    , city
    , area
    , Status
    FROMMyTable
    GROUP BY city
    , area
    , Status

which is a lot more skinny, provided that your code isn't more complicated than the example you have provided.

• Kristen-173977 wrote:

Michaels suggestion was probably this

which is a lot more skinny, provided that your code isn't more complicated than the example you have provided.

They never really provided an example.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Sorry, replied to wrong post - will try again

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by  GaryV.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by  GaryV. Reason: Replied to wrong post
  • Kristen-173977 wrote:

Michaels suggestion was probably this

SELECT[Date] = MAX([Date])
    , city
    , area
    , Status
    FROMMyTable
    GROUP BY city
    , area
    , Status

Doesn't this give the latest date for each city, area and status?  It sounds like the OP only wants the latest date for each city.  Which is what your first code would do.

(I'm assuming area, code and city are somehow linked, which means the data isn't really normalized properly, but perhaps this data sample comes from a query of joined tables.  If London can move from South to North or from A3 to A2 in some data rows, we may have a problem.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply