Help issue with iif and basic mathematical functions

• Now this seems simple but its driving me up the wall for something that seems so simple.

I am attempting to preform an mathematical action on using the value from a text box in a table within an iif statement, for example

if the value in textbox1 is numeric then display the value of textbox1 -1 in textbox2

i have attempted the following so far

Formula in textbox2

=iif(isnumeric(reportitems!Textbox1.value),"Is A Number","Not A Number")

This works correctly displaying the correct output

=iif(isnumeric(reportitems!Textbox1.value),reportitems!Textbox1.value,"Not A Number")

will display the value of Textbox1 if numerical otherwise will display "Not A Number"

now this is when it errors

=iif(isnumeric(reportitems!Textbox1.value),reportitems!Textbox1.value-1,"Not A Number")

this displays the correct value if Textbox1 is numeric , it doesn't display "Not A Number" just shows #Error if Textbox1 is non numeric

Is this a bug with SSRS or am i missing something obvious

Many Thanks

• Isnumeric() isn't perfect. You could get a positive result with a value that can't be used in mathematics. Check your data.

• Many thanks for your reply

The value of Textbox1 will either be "-" or numeric

if I change the formula to read

=iif(reportitems!Textbox1.value="-","Not A Number",reportitems!Textbox1.value-1) i still receive the same error as before. but this time in reverse it shows "Not a Number" when the value of Textbox1 is "-" and #Error for the sum if I remove the -1 then it displays correctly

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply