Help installing a processor license sql 2005

• Hi Folks,

I was able to purchase a processor based license for our server through a 3rd party charity licensing program.  I was sent disks, but no instructions.  I know the processor option isn't available with the standard SQL 2005 install disks.  When I use the disks they sent me, there is a code that is automatically filled out / grayed out, but it looks like the MSDN code, and sure enough when I run a query to check the licensing mode it shows up as disabled.  How do I convert this to processor and/or did they send me the wrong disks?

Thank you,

JB

• Microsoft changed a bunch of their licensing policies with SQL 2005 (I'm sure you have a shocked look on your face right now).  The reason your product key was disabled is because you don't need to enter it.  The vendor probably sent you a volume license DVD and the key is already set for you.  As far as setting it as a per-processor or CAL license scheme - there is no difference.  The only difference is the piece of paper you receive (don't lose it) with your license information on it.

As far as checking your licensing information on the server...well, the registry keys for this that SQL 2000 would put in are not added automatically by SQL 2005 leaving you with no way to check the licensing information for your SQL server.  If you really want to see them, you will find a knowledgebase article on the Microsoft website that will show you how.

You have done what you need to.  You probably have the correct disks (as long as it is the correct edition of SQL).

• I agree with Michael above. The code is the same. Licensing is an administrative thing.

• Thank you for the feedback!

• I was able to purchase a processor based license for our server through a 3rd party charity licensing program. I was sent disks, but no instructions. I know the processor option isn't available with the standard SQL 2005 install disks. When I use the disks they sent me, there is a code that is automatically filled out / grayed out, but it looks like the MSDN code, and sure enough when I run a query to check the licensing mode it shows up as disabled. How do I convert this to processor and/or did they send me the wrong disks?

Thank you,

JB

Hello

I am in similar situation and even more worrying as I cant wait for the media of the licence I just purchased. I tried to use a volume license cd for sql 2005 standard and its got a code that is automatically filled out/greyed out. I coud not go ahead and will appreciate if some one can advise whether I can use this media since I am already licenced for a sql 2005 stadard. I purchased from the same third party charity licensing program reseller?

Thanks for the helpful comments in this forum

• Does this mean it does not matter what mode you install because paper lic are what count? So, if I mistakenly chose per seat licensing when we purchased per processor, will I need to re-install or not worry about it because the paper lic will take care of it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply