Have You Been Hacked?

• I would almost guarantee that either there's a process/virus on your machine scanning cookies, or you used this password somewhere else. We've never been hacked that we've been able to trace. We've always found the few complaints to be due to some other process. We one way hash the passwords, never keep them here.

[/quote]

Steve, I'm sure you're right, but I have anti-virus, anti-malware etc. software that alerts me to threats and regularly scans my computer. As far as i can remember, I've only ever used that particular password on one site, but that's not to say it isn't an old password for some long-forgotten website.
    Sorry if I caused offence.

• jasona.work - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:43 AM

It wouldn't happen to have been this particular scheme, would it?
    https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/07/sextortion-scam-uses-recipients-hacked-passwords/
    Personally, if I got one of those e-mails I might (depending on my mood) have some fun with the extorter.  After all, it's kind of hard for them to have the material they claim, if I don't even have a webcam on my computer...

More likely though, if it even got past the spam filters, I'd glance at it and delete it and never think about it again.  Other than figuring out which account the password came from and promptly changing said password...

Yes, it was precisely that scheme and I did exactly what you would do.

• Lempster - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:05 AM

Steve, I'm sure you're right, but I have anti-virus, anti-malware etc. software that alerts me to threats and regularly scans my computer. As far as i can remember, I've only ever used that particular password on one site, but that's not to say it isn't an old password for some long-forgotten website.
    Sorry if I caused offence.

[/quote]
    No offense. Just wanted to state our position. If it's us, I want to know.

Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply