Hash Join

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Hash Join

• Thanks for the question

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hmm from the cited support link

Hash recursion and hash bailout cause reduced performance in your server. To eliminate or reduce the frequency of hash recursion and bailouts, do one of the following:

Make sure that statistics exist on the columns that are being joined or grouped.

If statistics exist on the columns, update them.

Use a different type of join. For example, use a MERGE or LOOP join instead, if appropriate.

Increase available memory on the computer. Hash recursion or bailout occurs when there is not enough memory to process queries in place and they need to spill to disk.

Hmmm seems one of the supposed correct answers is missing from the supporting document

Oh Well

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Oh well I thought the last option was increase memory in the server. Where as this found in the link provided by you.:w00t: But the option of constraint is not found. Can you give more explantion on that. Thanks.

---- Babu

• Hi,

I agree with the previous two posters. The webpage referenced clearly states that the 4th option should be "Increase available memory on the computer".

It seems that the correct answer to this is incorrectly given as wrong.

Cheers.

• The Increase Available Memory option is listed explicitly in the documentation, as other have already mentioned. Nowhere is something said about the constraint option and if it was a correct answer, then All of the above should have been the only correct answer.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• The trouble with this question is that adding an index on the the columns being joined in one of the tables (whether or not it's a unique index) can only reduce hash bailouts by persuading the optimiser to use a merge join (or, if the tables concered are a large one which gets the index and a small one, a nested loop join) instead of a hash join in some of the cases where bailouts occurred. So in reality that is already covered by one of the other options (use a different sort of join if appropriate), so it's probably unreasonable to include the add a unique index option as part of the correct answer if only 4 options can be chosen, while the add extra store option most certainly ought to be part of the correct answer.

Besides, it's a bit silly to provide an answer with a reference that directly contradicts it :hehe:.

Tom

• Hello Everybody,

My answer was : 1, 2, 3, 5.

I think it is the correct answer acordind to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190736.aspx

Hash recursion and hash bailout cause reduced performance in your server. To eliminate or reduce the frequency of hash recursion and bailouts, do one of the following:

Make sure that statistics exist on the columns that are being joined or grouped.

If statistics exist on the columns, update them.

Use a different type of join. For example, use a MERGE or LOOP join instead, if appropriate.

Increase available memory on the computer. Hash recursion or bailout occurs when there is not enough memory to process queries in place and they need to spill to disk.

Creating or updating the statistics on the column involved in the join is the most effective way to reduce the number of hash recursion or bailouts that occur.

• :crying:I want my Points back

• Good question that made me think. Shame the quoted reference doesn't match the 'correct' answers.

• ipounder (2/20/2012)

Good question that made me think. Shame the quoted reference doesn't match the 'correct' answers.

+2

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I have to agree with khelloufsofiane and others: the answers given in your "correct" response did not seem to co-incide with those which appear in the documentation.

Either you are, or I am, losing the ability to read.

Ken.

You never know: reading my book: "All about your computer" might just tell you something you never knew!
    lulu.com/kaspencer

• I think there's a BUG in the "Contribution Editor". I couldn't believe that so many questions are wrong.

😎

Steve, please correct the points and the "Contribution Editor".

• Ah! the disappointment of thinking you've done really well and ticked all the right boxes to then be told you are wrong!... however, faith can then be restored by clicking on Join the discussion and finding that you were right after all.

Phew 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply