HA with one node across the ocean

• Hi All,

Has anyone done a HA with one node across the ocean on a pretty large DB? The Database in question is around 1.5 TB. I already have HA set up on two server in the same data center as a Primary and the secondary as read only node. What I want to do is to add an asynchronous node on a server that is in a data center that is situated on almost the other side of the world.

-Roy

• how good is the link between the sites?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• The link is very good. The compressed back ups come to around 190 GB. Is it practical to move the back up over the wire?

-Roy

• i've done it before, it may take a short while but you only need the initial full to start any HA. Just remember to factor into any reinitialisation scenario the need to copy the new full backup

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks Perry. I will simulate the test in my test environment.

Since you have done it, I am sure it will work.

-Roy

• What HA are you thinking of using?

The scenario i used was log shipping a large database from UK to USA.

• Adding the node in AG. We will have a point to point VPN to the other data center. From all the reading I did it is possible to do it but I was not sure how practical it was to transfer 180 GB back up across the wire.

-Roy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply