Grant user access to view database only

• Hi I need to grant a user access to a DB on the server with read only access to view all tables and views the user is a domain user so I set them up in logins and gave them data reader only to the db what else do I need to do as when they connect to SSMS they don’t see the DB given then secure view data base state allows them to see the DB run a query but again they don’t see any tables etc

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• I suspect the reason you haven't had a response is that your original request is very difficult to follow. I'd suggest you look at what you have written and break it down into sentences. Also, don't thing about what you want to say - think about how best to explain the problem to someone who doesn't know your processes or your database

Having said that, the only thing I can suggest is that you have set up a login for the user (not an AD group?) and then added a database user with the same name as the login without referencing the login. If that's not correct I'm sorry, but hopefully you take my point about setting out clearly what you have done

• To be able to view the definitions of objects - and therefore see them in Object Explorer - you need to GRANT VIEW DEFINITION to the user in the database.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply