Getting Colorful

• Charles Kincaid (5/10/2010)

majorbloodnock (5/10/2010)

That said, in the UK, we also use the more vernacular form, where, instead of "cigarettes", we talk about "fags", hence the concept of "fag packet engineering". However, I can easily see the problems of exporting the term "fagware" to the US; it might well be adopted, but I shudder to think of the answer if an American were called upon to explain the meaning......

This product might do well in Greenwich Village.

• majorbloodnock (5/12/2010)

Michael Meierruth (5/12/2010)

And meaning of ID TEN T?

Sounds like identity.

But where exactly is the problem?

If you write ten in its numeric form, you end up with ID 10 T (or ID10T without the spaces)

Thank You Majorbloodnock, guess I need to work on my explaintions.

• David Webb-200187 (5/10/2010)

a PIG program (production if good)

...and if not quite "Good", you just apply some lipstick as suggested by a previous poster...

• "pebkac" (problem exists between keyboard and chair) ... we call that a "picnic" problem (problem in chair, not in computer)

🙂

Chris

• Among Russian programmers there was a phrase that I can translate as “licking the code”. Just like cat or dog lick themselves in order to get clean, programmers lick their code for the same reason.

When I first used this phrase here in US I’ve got a fountain of jokes – from “Did you use proper mouthwash?” to “Were you gentle while licking your private methods?”

So, I don’t use this phrase any more…

--Vadim R.

• rVadim (5/12/2010)

Among Russian programmers there was a phrase that I can translate as “licking the code”. Just like cat or dog lick themselves in order to get clean, programmers lick their code for the same reason.

When I first used this phrase here in US I’ve got a fountain of jokes – from “Did you use proper mouthwash?” to “Were you gentle while licking your private methods?”

So, I don’t use this phrase any more…

He, he. Like it.

Mind you, it doesn't sound too hygienic. One could easily catch a bug and end up down the VB clinic.....

😀

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• Most of my colourful descriptions of software are various shades of brown.

--
    Scott

• Scott-144766 (5/13/2010)

Most of my colourful descriptions of software are various shades of brown.

That is great. Good thing my coffee cup was empty so I didn't spit any on the monitor.

• Often, when asked how I change the appearance of data, such as dates or people's names, I describe that as using smoke and mirrors. I had to be more cautious about that when someone asked me where she could obtain the program "Smoke & Mirrors".

Viewing 9 posts - 91 through 98 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply