Getting Away

• After celebrating Christmas at home with the family, my wife and I are going to New Orleans for a few days and will be there to celebrate the new year.  We're looking forward to being there, but the timing of this trip is also a small effort to lend moral and financial support.  I know New Orleans will never be the same as pre-Katrina, but I hope they can come back.

• Merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone. I am taking annual leave for the days between Christmas and New Year and plan to do as little as possible. In Australia 4 weeks annual leave each year is pretty standard so I will still have plenty of leave for next year! Yeah!

Cheers!

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

• Work? what's that? i'm an aussie but i live in London, i just got back from Sydney where i had two weeks of glorious sun, plus we're smashing the poms in the ashes (that's cricket to you yanks). i've got another two weeks off over christmas, so i thought i'd zip over to Italy for a bit of snowboarding. Life's good !!

• Four weeks holiday is a legal minimum in the UK, 5 is considered more normal and anything over 25 days is generous. Plus we get about 9 bank holidays. Compared to France this is nothing.

Makes all the rain worthwhile.... Maybe

• Good for you, but I'll take the sun and 2 weeks less vacation any day.

• I like palm trees and ocean, and my dream world is one where I can wear t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops 24/7.

So naturally, I end up going up to Canada every Christmas (my wife is Canadian.)

Even better, for some perverted reason, although you can fly to Los Angeles for less than $200, the absolute best price we can get for round-trip flights from Baltimore to Toronto or Ottawa ("Stalingrad West" in December) is about $450 per seat - that's $1800 folks, and *real* dollars, not Canadian!

I've proposed to my wife that for that kind of moolah, we could pay for all of us (I mean us plus all of her family in Canada) to fly down to, say, Fort Lauderdale and spend Christmas there.

She was not amused.

Gotta go and pack my long underwear...

Best regards,

SteveR

P.S. - I immediately apologize/je le regret for the above gratuitous jokes at the expense of Canada and Canadians. Canada is a *great* country, and Ottawa is a beautiful jewel of a city from May to September.

• My husband and I end up at one of my family's houses for Christmas Eve.  This year, we're headed to my parents' house - where we get together with my mom's side of the family and my husband's family.  Christmas Day, we'll hopefully go over to my husband's parents' house.  Last year, I was terribly sick and stuck at home on Christmas Day (and the day after)

• December is financial year end for us, so no leave and on call for period 14 dec - 8 Jan for the DBA tem. Pity cause it's wonderful weather here.

Still, the roads are quiet, the shopping centers quiet and the office fairly quiet. All the lemmings went to Durban as usual. I should be able to loaf off a bit at least.

I usually take long holidays either feb, aug or oct since I'm not tied to school holidays.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • To those like maddog...my deepest sympathy!

My goal has been (for the last 10 yrs or so..) to spend each New Years' eve in a different country...so this year it's back to Jamaica where it's all no problem eyrie mon...

To those in Australia and Europe with boatloads of vacation time...I'd give anything to be in your place..however, Life has been good...so can't (musn't) complain...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply