Get who eliminated a default trace.

• Hello,

Is there any way that i can find who have eliminated a default trace from a machine?

The point is that SQL Server has 5 default traces and the current five i've got them in my machine.

Actually in the machine i've got log_34.trc, log_35.trc, log_36.trc, log_37.trc, log_38.trc, as i need to get information that has many days i restore from backup device another traces, , log_31.trc, log_30.trc, log_29.trc, log_28.trc, log_27.trc but i cannot get log_32.trc and log_33.trc as they are not in the backup devices, so i try to understand who eliminate the from the operating system before the filesystem backup runs :crazy:

Is there any way to get the information of those trace files or even who eliminate them? I really need to get information from those two trace files.

Thanks and regards, hope u can help me 🙂

• Depending on how quickly the trace files fill up (they are set to grow to a specific size then rollover) and how often you backup those files, it is possible the system itself deleted those files. The default is keep 5 files (4 historical and 1 current). When the current file reaches its max size, the oldest file is deleted and a new current file created.

As this delete occurs in the file system, I can't think of any way to track when, how, or who may have deleted the files.

• Thanks a lot.

I already know the "issue" of my problem.

The instance was restarted for 11 times in the same day, as the rollover its done when the instance start i cant get the traces in the SO backups.

:crying:

Thanks again.

Regards, JMSM 😉

• Yeah that totally sucks, because even if you have a process that archives off the older trace files you'd probably be missing some in this case.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply