Get databases names as a list

• Hey people.
    so i have this query :
    EXEC master..sp_MSforeachdb '
    USE [?]
    IF ''?'' <> ''master'' AND ''?'' <> ''model'' AND ''?'' <> ''msdb'' AND ''?'' <> ''tempdb'' <> "AdminConsole"
    BEGIN
    SELECT DB_NAME() AS DB FROM [?].dbo.tbl_WMSSettings WHERE WMSSettingsName = ''usesDocumentTypePermissions'' AND WMSSettingsValue = 0
    END

this query return some databases.

is there any way to get those databases names as a list?

In general, i am trying to understand the use of "?".

Thank you.

• Hi,
    you are able to  get your results as a text, not as a table:
    Just press CTRL+T
    But remember, MSforeachdb is not an  offical way to do that, I think it is deprecated. Maybe you should work with cursor.
    Kind regards,
    Andreas

• You could also look at this as a replacement from Aaron Bertrand;

A more reliable ForEachDb

But to answer your question, the ? is a placeholder for the next value, in this case the database name. If I recall the code has a replace in it. To replace the ? with the db name in the statement(s) you pass to the procedure. Hopefully that makes sense!

Rodders...

• thank your for your replies guys. I managed to get the result i want doing that:

DECLARE @command varchar(1000)
    EXEC master..sp_MSforeachdb @command
    SELECT @command=
    '
    USE [?]
    IF ''?'' <> ''master'' AND ''?'' <> ''model'' AND ''?'' <> ''msdb'' AND ''?'' <> ''tempdb'' AND ''?'' <> ''Megaventory'' AND ''?'' <> ''ReportServer'' AND ''?'' <> ''ReportServerTempDB'' AND "?" <> "AdminConsole"
    BEGIN
    SELECT DB_NAME(DB_ID(''?'')) AS database_name FROM [?].dbo.tbl_WMSSettings WHERE WMSSettingsName = ''usesDocumentTypePermissions'' AND WMSSettingsValue = 0
    END
    '
    DECLARE @DatabasesKst TABLE
    (
    database_name VARCHAR(50)
    )

INSERT INTO @DatabasesKst
    EXEC sp_MSforeachdb @command
    select * from @DatabasesKst

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply