General Performance Tuning

• Greetings!

Okay, I have not used the performance tools and don't have any printed documentation. Can someone point me in the direction of how to make sure I am getting a good performance from the database?

The situation is this: On an older server (Dual P2 400s) with 6.5, an ASP is taking about 30 secs to do a query and show some data.

I updated the queries to Stored Procedures (which are faster) and on a new server (Dual P4 1.8s) it takes longer! Why is that?

I use ADO to connect. In a quick VB app I wrote that I run on the same server, the same stored procedure takes 2 secs! (Same as the speed in the Query Analyzer.)

What can I do to see the results on the ASPs go faster? What tools do I have to help boost the performance?

Thanks!

turlough

• Is it a large result set? If so, the rendering may be longer in ASP. Also, did you run your VB app from the web server?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Also can be a problem with your connection as defined in the ASP page (how you make the connection, type of connection (named pipes, tcp/ip). Could be configuration of the server such as background services are not getting higher priority. Can you give bit more detail on your setup and where things live?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply