Gak!

• Just had a 1.4TB, (whisper it) MySQL table become corrupt. Wonder how long the repair'll take? :crazy:

• Gazareth (4/18/2012)

Just had a 1.4TB, (whisper it) MySQL table become corrupt. Wonder how long the repair'll take? :crazy:

MySQL? do you realize this is the Oracle section of a SQL Server forum?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (4/18/2012)

Gazareth (4/18/2012)

Just had a 1.4TB, (whisper it) MySQL table become corrupt. Wonder how long the repair'll take? :crazy:

Well, MySQL is owned by Oracle.... 😛

• Lynn Pettis (4/18/2012)

PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (4/18/2012)

Gazareth (4/18/2012)

Bingo 😉

I was going to put it in the "Anything that's not about SQL" forum. Describes MySQL pretty well, no? 😛

• Lynn Pettis (4/18/2012)

Gazareth (4/18/2012)

True. Oracle also owns PeopleSoft and I do not see any PeopleSoft related questions here 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Gazareth (4/18/2012)

OK it's been a whole day already!

How long did the repair take, and did it work?

if you restore that from backup, how long does a restore take for a database that size?

It would be nice to hear some numbers based on your experience just to understand the impact a little better, thanks!

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (4/19/2012)

Lynn Pettis (4/18/2012)

Gazareth (4/18/2012)

True. Oracle also owns PeopleSoft and I do not see any PeopleSoft related questions here 😀

If you are talking about this particular forum, true, I haven't seen any. However, I have seen PeopleSoft questions on several other forums on ssc. They were pretty easy to spot when the OP posted code. Helps that I helped support PeopleSoft for 5 years.

• Lowell (4/19/2012)

Gazareth (4/18/2012)

OK it's been a whole day already!

How long did the repair take, and did it work?

if you restore that from backup, how long does a restore take for a database that size?

It would be nice to hear some numbers based on your experience just to understand the impact a little better, thanks!

Still not repaired! About to have a discussion on alternative fixes I've suggested.

I'll give a more thorough run down later 🙂

Last time I restored this database it took about 3 days :w00t:

• Well, boringly, we just junked the server instead of fixing it.

The repair ran out of of disk space - didn't have 3TB available to that server!

(So that's something to remember when repairing a MySQL table - allow for free disk space greater than the size of the table you're repairing!).

We were in the process of migrating to SQL Server - I'd already copied the data a couple of weekends previously.

All this did was kickstart the devs into updating their apps.

A conspiracy theorist would claim the corruption was no coincidence... :Whistling:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply