Fun(?) with DATETIME2

• BTW Microsoft's documentation has an error too - it says "Accuracy 100 nanoseconds". This is of course the Resolution (or Precision) of the data.

The accuracy will depend on the original source of the time-stamp - which in my experience can vary from minutes (old server nobody cares about) to milliseconds (typical NTP setup). You'll only get 100 nSec accuracy in systems very tightly coupled to GPS (or a satellite-coordinated atomic clock). Even then, by the time some code has decided to date an event many many ยตSecs will have passed.

• Fired up my local SQL 2008 Mgmt Studio, put the code into the query window (on Master), hit F5, and got: 1752-09-09 00:00:00.0000000

So, why do I now have an X on my test answer? I wasn't wrong, my SQL install isn't wrong... the world is.... ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh well,

Phil

• Total guess on this question. The question asks for opinions and the answer is an opinion. Based on that, I see more than one possible answer.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I guessed Option:1.

SSMS QA says: 1752-09-09 00:00:00.0000000

Not sure, why the correct answer is :: Option No: 3

Thanks.

• O.K gentlemen, how does one explain this??

USE AdventureWorks

GO

DECLARE @MYDATE DATETIME2

SET @MYDATE = '1752-09-09'

PRINT @MYDATE

ANSWER

1752-09-09 00:00:00.0000000

No Error???

• vk-kirov (12/27/2010)

I wonder how many records in one's database containing year 1752 ๐Ÿ˜€

As a matter of fact, we have several hundred homes in our database that were built during the 1700s!

• Sourav-657741 (12/27/2010)

I guessed Option:1.

SSMS QA says: 1752-09-09 00:00:00.0000000

Not sure, why the correct answer is :: Option No: 3

Correct answer is #2.

• fourdoorvette (12/27/2010)

O.K gentlemen, how does one explain this??

USE AdventureWorks

GO

DECLARE @MYDATE DATETIME2

SET @MYDATE = '1752-09-09'

PRINT @MYDATE

ANSWER

1752-09-09 00:00:00.0000000

No Error???

I am not a gentleman but I will point out that the author's correct answer is "It runs perfectly but you would expect it to fail." The fact that it runs without error is not up for debate, only what your expectations were.

• wware (12/27/2010)

I am not a gentleman but I will point out that the author's correct answer is "It runs perfectly but you would expect it to fail." The fact that it runs without error is not up for debate, only what your expectations were.

How can you debate on one's expectations?

<Off-topic mode on\>

And seriously, datetime2? Couldn't Microsoft find a more original name?

By the way, Microsoft is conducting a survey to choose a name for the "server-less server". Read more about it in the blog post of Aaron Bertrand.

<Off-topic mode off\>

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I agree with the others, that without the mention of Britain in the question, the date is perfectly valid and option 1 should have been the correct answer.

• UMG Developer (12/28/2010)

I agree with the others, that without the mention of Britain in the question, the date is perfectly valid and option 1 should have been the correct answer.

Understand that I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here....

Microsoft is a U.S. Company. The U.S. was a collection of British colonies back in 1752. Hence, the assumption, on the part of the author, that everyone would be thinking U.S. (or former colonies) time when looking at the answer to this. It's not about Britain so much as it is about everything that was a member of the British Empire. The U.S., as well as Britain, never had a 09/09/1752.

But I agree that the "you expect" part of the answers could have been phrased in such a way as to not make people think the author was trying to force an opinion upon the readership.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (12/28/2010)

Microsoft is a U.S. Company. The U.S. was a collection of British colonies back in 1752. Hence, the assumption, on the part of the author, that everyone would be thinking U.S. (or former colonies) time when looking at the answer to this. It's not about Britain so much as it is about everything that was a member of the British Empire. The U.S., as well as Britain, never had a 09/09/1752.

Microsoft may be a U.S. company, but their products are used world-wide, so types have to account for other countries as well.

The datetime2 data type is specifically documented as the Gregorian calendar, so unless the question mentions something modifying what is in BOL how are we supposed to know if we use BOL, or what the QOTD author is thinking?. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677335.aspx

• Brandie Tarvin (12/28/2010)

Understand that I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here....

Microsoft is a U.S. Company.

Yes, but if I'm not mistaken you can buy localized versions of SQL Server.

Just playing God's Advocate here ๐Ÿ™‚

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Where's the "fun" in this? :hehe:

The fact that the given date was not recognized by Britain and her colonies does not mean that the date is not a valid Gregorian date. The correct answer should be "works as expected". I don't know why the author received an error.

Thanks for the question, though.

• So let me get this straight... because I knew how the function worked, I am wrong.

Had I not known how it worked, I would have had a pretty decent chance of being right.

Very curious question that rewards ignorance whilst penalising knowledge.

I might submit one along similar lines:

Q: If I issue a SELECT TOP 5 * FROM CUSTOMER query where the CUSTOMER table has more than 10 rows, how many rows will be returned?

a) (incorrect) I know it will be 5

b) (correct) I'm guessing 5 but that's probably wrong

c) (incorrect) 37

d) (incorrect) error

What do you think? Is this the way forward?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply