Full text catalog

• Hi all. I'm relatively new to 2005 and trying to come up to speed. I have a full text catalog that is offline, apparently due to moving the database from one server to another using dettach/attach and not moving all the appropriate underlying files. The database appears fine but we cannot do a full backup because the catalog is "offline". I know how to bring it online (bebuild) but I'm not sure of the performance impact - any thoughts? Is this similar to an index rebuild? Can the data that the catlog is being created from be accessed while it's being rebuilt? Sorry for all the questions but, as stated, just trying to come up to speed. Thanks for any and all comments.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• tosscrosby (8/12/2009)

Hi all. I'm relatively new to 2005 and trying to come up to speed. I have a full text catalog that is offline, apparently due to moving the database from one server to another using dettach/attach and not moving all the appropriate underlying files. The database appears fine but we cannot do a full backup because the catalog is "offline". I know how to bring it online (bebuild) but I'm not sure of the performance impact - any thoughts? Is this similar to an index rebuild? Can the data that the catlog is being created from be accessed while it's being rebuilt? Sorry for all the questions but, as stated, just trying to come up to speed. Thanks for any and all comments.

Hi,

You should be able to move the Full Text Catalog along with the database without issue.

Has the file location of the catalog changed as this may be the cause of your issue.

See the following Books Online reference for details.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms142593(SQL.90).aspx

• The problem appears to be that the underlying files were not moved and the original server was rebuilt, destryoing the files. I would not have thought a attach would have worked, or at the very least, left the database suspect. Everything for the application has been running for a couple of months without apparent issue. I was notified yesterday that the backups have not been running - just what want to hear. Now that I know that, and why, I obviously want to fix it. As stated earlier, I'm wondering about the performance impact and the impact of data availability. Still searching but if you have any thoughts, I sure would appreciate them.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• tosscrosby (8/12/2009)

The problem appears to be that the underlying files were not moved and the original server was rebuilt, destryoing the files. I would not have thought a attach would have worked, or at the very least, left the database suspect. Everything for the application has been running for a couple of months without apparent issue. I was notified yesterday that the backups have not been running - just what want to hear. Now that I know that, and why, I obviously want to fix it. As stated earlier, I'm wondering about the performance impact and the impact of data availability. Still searching but if you have any thoughts, I sure would appreciate them.

Hi Terry,

Rebuilding the catalog is certainly a resource intensive process however I am not certain if it will restrict access to the referenced data tables, although I think it unlikely.

To my knowledge the Full Text Indexing Process reads the source table data into memory in the first instance and then subsequently performs the actual indexing operations/catalog generation on the data as it is held in memory.

To develop a more detailed understanding of the Full Text Search Architecture use the following Books Online reference as a starting point.

Full-Text Search Architecture

Also, here is a good explanation of the actual indexing process:

Full-Text Indexing and Querying Process

I would suggest that you put your concerns to the test by rebuilding a Full Text Catalog in a test environment to review the potential implications, if any.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply