From SQL2014 to Azure - courses / links?

• Hello,

We presently work with SQL2014 (SQL and lately, with the help from sqlservercentral forums - SSIS) and will be moving to Azure towards the end of this year / beginning of the next one. There are DBA's in place, which will do the migration, but for me I would like to start learning about SQL Azure, the differences and new options. I will truly appreciate if one can advise on a good course / series of courses, please. Either online or frontal (located in South of England).

• First thing I'd do is understand if you're doing a lift & shift and just moving to Azure VMs, or, if you're implementing Azure SQL Databases or Azure Managed Instances. The learning for the IaaS vs. the PaaS is going to be pretty different.

There are lots of online courses. Start right here with our Stairways series on Azure SQL Database (for example, look through, there are other Azure offerings. For in-person, I'd suggest tracking down your local PASS Chapter. There are several listed here in the South of England (although, I know, it really depends on where, but look through the list). Not only do they host monthly meetings, frequently on Azure topics, but you'll also be able to meet and network with people already doing the work. Also, keep an eye out for SQLSaturday events near you (I know Southampton does one because they keep inviting me and I have to keep turning them down, sucks).

When referencing online resources on Azure, keep an eye on the date of the information. Frequently (but not always), something more than 18 months old may no longer be accurate. Azure moves very quickly.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I didn't even know Azure can be used same as AWS, but you're right - the immediate move, they said, would be hosting, with later migration to Azure SQL. Yet, I have started to read through and learn already.

Thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply