From cluster to single node

• Hi all,

We currently have a 2 node dev cluster which I need to dismantle and either keep only node 1 or move to a new server. I am an SQL noob and this is a good project for me to dip my toes into the SQL reality.

I looked around for some info online but did not find anything specific so I am reaching out for help, advice and guidance.

Here is some tech info. If more is needed I will gladly provide

Current setup:

SQL Server 2014 on servers running 2012 r2

2 nodes CANMTLDEVSQL1 ip 10.240.201.137 and CANMTLDEVSQL2 10.240.201.139 running a server called DEVSQL ip 10.240.201.182.

CANMTLSQL2 is shut down and all is running on CANMTLDEVSQL1

We want  to get rid of CANMTLDEVSQL2 can anyone please suggest a good way to go about doing this?

Thanks!

• this is doable. Since CANMTLSQL2 was already shutdown, quorum, MSDTC, sql server, etc are all running on CANMTLDEVSQL1 and simply evict CANMTLSQL2  from failover cluster manager | node

• @sterling3721, my main concern is that the VHD's that contain MSDTC, quorum etc. are all native to the VM environment of CANMTLDEVSQL2 and that we don't want to change the server name (DEVSQL) and the end goal is to decommission CANMTLDEVSQL2 altogether to re-purpose licenses and reduce VM resource usage.

• both MSDTC and quorum belong to the cluster, not to a node, of course, it will be owned by a node. With one node(CANMTLDEVSQL1 ) only, quorum needs to be removed. I suggest setting up VMs/cluster and trying out first.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply