FoxPro Book Givaway! (Sorry, Cont. U.S. only)

• I have four free FoxPro books if anyone's interested and I'd like to give SSC something back if I can by just giving them away. I'll even pay for shipping. 😀 (Continental US only.)

Only one book per person please - I want to give to more than one person if I can. This is simply first-come, first-serve. Leave a comment to claim which book you want.

p.s. Contagrats to SSC by the way! In the latest SQL Server Magazine, SSC was voted the "Favorite Go-To Website for SQL Server Solutions"! 😎 (It's in the December 2010 edition.)

Here is the list:

MegaFox: 1002 Things You Wanted To Know about Extending Visual FoxPro

Copyright 2002

Effective Techniques for Application Development with Visual FoxPro 6.0

Copyright 1998

Object Orientation in Visual FoxPro

Copyright 1996

PC Learning Labs Teaches Visual FoxPro 3.0

Copyright 1995

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• Traitor.

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• ChrisM@home (12/6/2010)

Traitor.

Ha! 'Not sure what you mean by that. Traitor to FoxPro? If you mean FoxPro, I really liked it, but keeping a job using FoxPro became more and more of a challenge. So I was sort-of forced out basically. :pinch:

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• mtillman-921105 (12/6/2010)

ChrisM@home (12/6/2010)

Traitor.

Ha! 'Not sure what you mean by that. Traitor to FoxPro? If you mean FoxPro, I really liked it, but keeping a job using FoxPro became more and more of a challenge. So I was sort-of forced out basically. :pinch:

You're right. It's been fun playing with Foxpro all these years, there's not much it can't do - usually faster than most alternatives.

I'm not expecting any more Foxpro work after this gig :crying:

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• ChrisM@home (12/6/2010)

mtillman-921105 (12/6/2010)

ChrisM@home (12/6/2010)

Traitor.

You're right. It's been fun playing with Foxpro all these years, there's not much it can't do - usually faster than most alternatives.

I think that the 2 GB limit on tables (and indexes) coupled with the MS marketing campign for SQL Server are the two of the main reasons that FoxPro is in the state it's in. Also, it seems like MS prefers Access over FoxPro. I mean Access comes with Office, why buy FoxPro, right?

• mtillman-921105 (12/6/2010)

ChrisM@home (12/6/2010)

mtillman-921105 (12/6/2010)

ChrisM@home (12/6/2010)

Traitor.

I think that the 2 GB limit on tables (and indexes) coupled with the MS marketing campign for SQL Server are the two of the main reasons that FoxPro is in the state it's in. Also, it seems like MS prefers Access over FoxPro. I mean Access comes with Office, why buy FoxPro, right?

The 2GB limit clinched it for more than one company I've worked for. Fox worked wonderfully well with SQL Server since VFP3.0 though, and some conversions don't cost an arm and a leg.

Having not really played with Access I don't know what it's capable of when it comes to funky interfaces, but I've played with one or two funky Fox interfaces over the years, which with VB you would have used bought-in C++ classes. Fox enables you to roll your own, like the tree (Explorer) control which can be written in at least two different ways.

• Do you still have this book to give away? I'm a long time FoxPro programmer, and I'd love to have the book.

You can reach me at:

mattslay //@// jordanmachine //d.o.t// com

• mattslay (4/27/2011)

Do you still have this book to give away? I'm a long time FoxPro programmer, and I'd love to have the book.

You can reach me at:

mattslay //@// jordanmachine //d.o.t// com

Great! I'd given up on this.

Sure, I still have that book and I'll be glad to send it to you. I'll send you an email from home later (this afternoon or tomorrow) since I'm at work now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply