Foreign Table JOINs in dimensions?

• I'm trying to use the Description column from a table that is not the discerning table for a dimension, to use as the dimension's Member Name Column.

I have added the table to the dimension, so it's the Location table, which contains the Description column, and the SaleLocation table, which is a sub-category of a Location. The LocationCode (PK) in the Location table corresponds to the SaleLocationCode (PK) of the SaleLocation table. The dimension diagram shows a relationship between the Location and SaleLocation tables, that I interpret as a JOIN. The problem is that when I try to use dbo.SaleLocation.SaleLocationCode for Member Key Column, and dbo.Location.Description for the Member Name Column, I end up with a Cartesian product of the 2 tables, which leads me to believe that Analysis Services isn't JOINing the tables. If I use dbo.Location.LocationCode for Member Key Column, and dbo.Location.Description for the Member Name Column, I don't get a list "filtered" on the existence of a row in SaleLocation, I get all the Locations.

I realize I could solve this by doing this JOIN in t-sql and putting the rows into a table, but we're trying to avoid that for the moment.

Any help is appreciated,

Rick Todd

• Rick,

The easiest way to set this up would be a view that joins the two tables.  Then query the view within OLAP instead of the table.

cl

Signature is NULL

• Yeah, inevidetably, I figured that out about five minutes after I posted. It also appears that if I get the hierarchy right, with the Location table below the SaleLocation table, eventhough it seems counter-intuitive because it has more members, it works.

Rick Todd

• I have not use Analysis Services, but I have designed a number of data warehouses in other dbs.

A dimension table is highly denormalized and should not require any joins to external data.

dtbl_StoreLocations

StoreLocationID

LocationID

LocationName

StoreName

This would be used by a fact table, for example, daily sales.  With this design, you do not need external joins.  Like what was suggested before, you can simulate this in a view that joins the Location and store location tables.

• I agree with raibeart to a point, I would try to use star schema as much as possible but there are certain times where a snowflake helps with changing dims.

Keep in mind that joins in the cube only slow down your processing, not your cube speed.

------------

Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply