Flat file import through DTS

• Hi ,

Iam a newbie to SQL DTS.I have a DTS task to perform. The task is to move data from an oracle database to SQL server database. If there is an insertion of new data or an update of the earlier records in that particular table in the Oracle database, I have to move those records from there and insert it in to the relevant table in the SQL Server database. My idea is to select the records where the Date_Last_Update column is less than or equal to 24 hours and write it to a file. I then have to take that file and do an insert if the record does not exist or update the record if it already exists. Can i perform this by DTS as i came to know that DTS does only an insert...which i tried and got the duplicate key error. would be great in any one provides me with some inputs. Thanks

kams

• Consider using a linked server, and some TSQL code rather than DTS. Not that DTS is bad, I too am only good with DTS.

But I do this on several tables, most are simply move new data.  But I would think you could do this in TSQL code.

A personal trick is to select from Oracle into a "work" table, then move that to my main tables.  I put code in that move process to resolve any issue's.

KlK

• Hi, Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply