Finding/Listing All Databases

• I have a request to provide a listing of all databases within the network (we're in a single domain - and all dbs are MS SQL 2000 sp3a-4). I need, at a minimum:

• physical server
    • sql version/sp

anything else would be gravy

Is there some reasonably easy way to get this information (sqldmo, some free tool, etc)?

Thanks

• From our friends in Redmond:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287737

the sqldmo answer.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• You can also try this link:

http://www.sqlsecurity.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=26

I think the tool for this it's called SQLRecon 1.0 or SQLPing

• SQLRecon is here:

Special Ops Security: SQLRecon

It's from Chip Andrews, the same guy who runs SQLSecurity.com and coded the SQLPing application. Much preferable to Microsoft's recommendation. SQLRecon is the successor to SQLPing.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Just an aside on the SQL-DMO solution - probably the easiest to code, but from personal experience it can be a pain to package up into an application, and can cause problems with Enterprise Manager if the app's uninstalled (ie : you'll probably need to re-install the client tools). Also, I *think* it's a technology dead-end after SQL Server 2005 and is being replaced by SQL-SMO, so you might want to figure that into your plans.  If MS have changed their intentions on that score, I'll stand corrected.

Jon

• Thanks all for the great responses (I can always count on this group).

After trying some of the canned apps (which worked well - but don't provide all of what I'm looking for...) I tried my hand at writing a VB.Net-based SQL-DMO solution. I had no idea that so much information was available via SQL-DMO (and it was pretty straight-forward to write)!

My only issue seems to be that the SQL-DMO ListAvailableSqlServer method only lists the first SQL instance on the server. I have several SQL Servers with multiple named instances - and only the first instance is listed.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this might happen and/or any work-around.

PS thanks for the heads-up on the move to SQL-SMO. If the API is as easy to use as the SQL-DMO then I'll treat this as a throw-away and re-write on the new platform.

Glenn

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply