Finding the connection string for ChefTec software

• This question is a long shot because it requires familiarity with a specific application called ChefTec which is a program for the restaurant industry, but I'm giving it a try because I have nowhere else to go to get the information I need. I am the developer for a competitor of this program, and some ChefTec users want to switch to our product and have their data, which is in SQL Server 2005 or 2008, converted. My plan is to create a utility that the users could run to convert the data (written in Delphi, though that doesn't really matter). The problem is that I can't determine the connection string that ChefTec uses. It doesn't seem to be stored anywhere obvious (an ini file or the registry). When ChefTec is installed it either installs SQL Server or gives the option of using an existing instance, but there's no way for me to know how it was set up on any given machine. The program must be using some internal logic to create the connection string but that's not accessible to me. If anyone is familiar with this software or has any ideas about how to figure it out please let me know.

Glenn

• If are a sysadmin on the SQL Server instance, then you can setup a SQL Profiler or Extended Event trace for connections.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• my quick Google-Fu tells me it's a local instance on the installed server; all i need to do is login locally to that machine and start my investigation.

http://www.sql-questions.com/microsoft/SQL-Server/32646564/cheftec-dbnetlibconnectionopen-connect.aspx

from there, i'd go to Administrative Tools>>Services and find any instances that exist on the box.

if i wasn't already sysadmin on that instance, i'd use this script to add myself to the instance that looks right,a dn then connect with SSMS and start looking over the schema.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1573246.aspx

once i'm sysadmin, i can add a ReadOnly user, create a connection string to teh box, and finish the applciaiton you are designing.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Great advice from all posts here.  I have run across the same issue and support is not existent and always angling for money.

ChefTec is installed on a desktop at my client's site so no SSMS, no ODBC records, nothing in the directory structure, so I made it my mission to find it to hopefully save some average Joe's out there some headaches.

A ton of ChefTec settings and info is located in registry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Culinary Software Services

I highly recommend exporting the tree from that point as there are a bunch of config settings in there that may be needed should you ever want to move it to another device without needing CT support.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply