finding fields that hold specific data?

• Is there a way I can return a recordset via a SP which contains the fieldnames that hold a particular string?

my table would be set as:

Date Field1 Field2 field3 field4

12/08/2008 Tony Jim Tony Sally

13/08/2008 Sally Tony George Tony

What I'd like to do is something like return fields that contain "Tony" on the 12/08/2008"

This would return Field1,Field3

I can do this using VB6 to manipulate the recordset, but I'd imagine it would be faster using a SP to do the work

• I was given the following code a while ago by Karl, but it just produces an error

create table ##field_name (field varchar(128))

--insert into temp table the row we want so that we don't have to select from the table later on.

--need to perform a select * into because we don't know the columns ahead of time.

select *

into ##my_table

from my_table

where date = '25/12/2007'

declare @column varchar(128)

--cursor through all of the columns in our table

declare col_cursor cursor

for

select column_name

from information_schema.columns

where table_name = 'my_table'

open col_cursor

fetch next from col_cursor into @column

while @@fetch_status = 0

begin

--if the current column contains 'jim' then let's insert into our ##field_name table

exec('if exists (select 1 from ##my_table where [' + @column '] = ''jim'') insert into ##field_name(field) values(''' + @column + ''')')

end

close col_cursor

deallocate col_cursor

--select all of our field names

select * from ##field_name

drop table ##field_name

drop table ##my_table

The error I get when run in the QA is

Incorrect syntax near '] = 'jim') insert into ##field_name(field) values(''.

Has anyone any ideas?

• Your missing a + sign after the first reference to the @column variable

exec('if exists (select 1 from ##my_table where [' + @column + '] = ''jim'') insert into ##field_name(field) values(''' + @column + ''')')

• Thanks Clive, it now works, I've been looking at that code for ages and never spotted it !!

• Ha! I've missed the obviousl like that too many times and spent an hour to find the problem 🙂

• Clive, can I impose on your knowledge once more? in the line

exec('if exists (select 1 from ##my_table where [' + @column + '] = ''jim'') insert into ##field_name(field) values(''' + @column + ''')')

I'd like to use a variable instead of 'jim' I seem to get errors no matter how I format the line

• mick burden (8/22/2008)

Clive, can I impose on your knowledge once more? in the line

I'd like to use a variable instead of 'jim' I seem to get errors no matter how I format the line

Sure thing...

exec('if exists (select 1 from ##my_table where [' + @column + '] = ''' + @Name +''') insert into ##field_name(field) values(''' + @column + ''')')

Should do the trick.

• Just the trick, many thanks Clive

• one last thing Clive, I've put the whole thing into a SP to be read by a VB6 program, the thing is when I try to read the data it tells me the object is closed, any ideas?

• When you run the stored procedure from Query Analyser, does it return the correct recordset?

It's been about 4 years since I've used VB so I'm not too sure about the front end issues these days..

• yes it does, that's why I was puzzled when it threw up errors in the vb code

• I've a sneaky feeling the SP is erroring before the final select statement, but I can't find out where, the stored procedure is as follows

CREATE PROCEDURE spGetareas_byName_and_Date @Name as varchar(100),@Date as varchar(20)

AS

create table ##field_name (field varchar(128))

select * into ##my_table from TI_Work_New where date1 = @Date

declare @column varchar(128)

--cursor through all of the columns in our table

declare col_cursor cursor

for

select column_name from information_schema.columns where table_name = 'TI_Work_New'

open col_cursor

while @@fetch_status = 0

begin

exec('if exists (select 1 from ##my_table where [' + @column + '] like ''' + @Name +''') insert into ##field_name(field) values(''' + @column + ''')')

end

close col_cursor

deallocate col_cursor

select * from ##field_name

drop table ##field_name

drop table ##my_table

GO

Unless of course it's a stupid mistake on my part

• I was right, it was a stupid mistake on my part. I forgot to use SET NOCOUNT ON

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply