Find Record position in Table

• I have a simple table tbl_members as follows

srno. - memid - sid

7 959 958

8 960 958

9 961 958

10 962 958

11 963 958

I want to find the row number of a record using T-SQL query where memid=961.

The result should be 3 as the record is in third row.

Please help?

[font="System"]Bhavesh Patel[/font]

http://bhaveshgpatel.wordpress.com/
  • Hi,

I do not see any reason to find that, but here is thequery that can help you with what you want.

remember that for this query i am assuming that srno column is the primary key of the table and it will always be ordered by this srno column.

THe query is

select * , (select count(*) from tbl_members t2 where t2.srno <= t.srno) as RowNumber From tbl_members where memid = 961

So the LAst Column of the query result will be your answer.

:w00t:

• SQL Server does not ensure ordering in storage so the third row could be any of the rows unless you provide an order by. In SQL Server 2005 and later you can use a CTE and the Row_Number() function like this:

PRINT 'Insert Data'

INSERT INTO @table

SELECT

7, 959, 958

UNION ALL

SELECT

8, 960, 958

UNION ALL

SELECT

9, 961, 958

UNION ALL

SELECT

10, 962, 958

UNION ALL

SELECT

11, 963, 958

PRINT ' Using CTE'

;WITH cteRows AS

(

SELECT

ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY srno) AS row_id,

FROM

@table

)

SELECT

FROM

cteRows

WHERE

memid = 961

-- vishal's solution

PRINT 'Using Correlated Sub-Query'

select

(

select

count(*)

from

@table t2

where

t2.srno <= t.srno

) as RowNumber

From

@table t

where

memid = 961

If you use the SET STATISTICS IO ON command you will see that in this simple example without any indexes there are twice as many scans and reads using Vishal's solution which is an indication that it will not scale as well as the CTE/Row_Number() solution I have proposed. So you'll want to test the solutions on your system with your data.

• Yes, I completely agree, my solution is not efficiant, and just migrated to 2005 so , i have just heard about the row_number function, Can you give me some info on how to use this function.

Thanks.

• If you want to learn about ROW_NUMBER(), read the documentation in BOL. No sens in having someone explain it to you if you haven't tried.

ROW_NUMBER works for a result set. Not a table. There is no row number for a table, as Jack noted. Only if there is an ORDER BY can you guarantee the order of a result set, and then be sure about the answer you'll get.

However, maybe you ought to back up and think about what you are trying to accomplish. Why do you care about which record is stored in a slot? Chances are you're approaching the problem incorrectly.

• http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186734(SQL.90).aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve,

Sorry , if it looks to you that i know nothing, but do you mean to say that row_number returns only the row number. does it do anything else also like replacing the sub queries?

• vishal sharda (8/13/2009)

but do you mean to say that row_number returns only the row number.

It doesn't return the row number because SQL doesn't have any concept of a row's position in a table. What rows number does is assign sequential numbers to records in a query, based on the order that you specify.

As an example, say I have a query that returns 3 rows:

Name

Joe

Bob

Dave

If I add a second column, row_number over (Order by Name), then Bob will have value 1, Dave 2 and Joe 3. If instead I added the second column as row_number over (Order by Name DESC), then Joe has value 1, Dave 2 and Bob 3.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• But my question is i cannot find a scenario where we need to use this function, can you suggest me some case in which i can use ROW_number?

• Exactly the scenario that the OP asked about. Finding the 3rd row ordered by some criteria.

Anther use is assigning unique values to rows in a resultset, perhaps for paging.

Gail Shaw

• You could use it for answering things like:

- give me the top 5 invoices for each client order by descending invoice amount

- every 10th invoice by customer, order by invoice date.

Again - the row_number() results are specific to each query, and are virtual (i.e. reorder when new data is introduced).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• The point is that the row number is relative to how the data is returned. There is no absolute row number.

I'm not saying you don't know anything, but rather that perhaps you're not thinking through what the need for the row number is. If you don't have a need, then that's fine. however there are scenarios, like paging, or numbering for a report, that this helps with.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply