Find Average Page Life Expectancy

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Find Average Page Life Expectancy

• Could you explain the output result about your script? I got result as below

Average Page Life Expectancy

16:16:32:000

Thanks

ananda

• The result format is hrs:mins:secs:millisecs

So based on that, 16hrs:16mins...

• but where is the PLE output like 300 sec..

• 300 seconds is 5 minutes.

Microsoft recommends that if you have a PLE of 300 seconds, you should be good and generally, that works. The higher the number, the better for your system. The recommended value of the PLE counter is (update: minimum of) 300 seconds. I have seen on busy system this value to be as low as even 60 seconds and on unused system as high as 1250 seconds. Page Life Expectancy is number of seconds a page will stay in the buffer pool without references. In simple words, if your page stays longer in the buffer pool (area of the memory cache) your PLE is higher, leading to higher performance as every time request comes there are chances it may find its data in the cache itself instead of going to hard drive to read the data.

Yours is over 16 and a quarter minutes so based on the general workload, you can baseline and use that as a metric to check when your system is under some memory pressure due to low PLE.

• This doesn't work with named instances. It will if you change the where clause as follows:

WHERE ([object_name] = N'MSSQL$' + @@Servicename + N':Buffer Manager '

or [object_name] = N'SQLServer:Buffer Manager')

AND counter_name = N'Page life expectancy'

• Thanks William!

I will test and make the updates

• I get

Average Page Life Expectancy

NULL

SQL Server 2012 11.0.3339

odd...

Over 12yrs in IT and 10yrs happily stuck with SQL.
    - SQL 2008/R2/2012/2014/2016/2017
    - Oracle 8/9/10/11
    - MySQL 4/5 and MariaDB

• That happens if you are monitoring a named instance. See my earlier post to modify the script to work in both default and named instances.

Its still a helpful script.

• Thanks, didn't read that. 🙂

Over 12yrs in IT and 10yrs happily stuck with SQL.
    - SQL 2008/R2/2012/2014/2016/2017
    - Oracle 8/9/10/11
    - MySQL 4/5 and MariaDB

• Thank you for the script. Very useful for us small shops on a Budget.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply