FILEGROUP ... CONTAINS MEMORY_OPTIMIZED_DATA' failed because it is not supported

• Hi all,

I have:

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (RTM-GDR) (KB4019088) - 13.0.1742.0 (X64) Jul 5 2017 23:41:17 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Web Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Standard 6.3 <X64> (Build 14393: )

when i am trying to create in-memory filegroup i get this error:

FILEGROUP ... CONTAINS MEMORY_OPTIMIZED_DATA' failed because it is not supported in the edition of this SQL Server instance.

i dint find anywhere in msdn regarding this message and it seems that also sql server express can use in-memory tables.

am i doing something wrong?

do i need to configure something?

Thanks in advance!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  89netanel.
  • web edition doesn't support it

QL Server 2016 (13.x) SP1 (or later), any edition. For SQL Server 2014 (12.x) and SQL Server 2016 (13.x) RTM (pre-SP1) you need Enterprise, Developer, or Evaluation edition.

looks like you need enterprise for 2016

MVDBA

• Hello Mike,

thank you very much for your quick response.

If i will upgrade to SP2 with web edition will it work? Or its license issue?

• no idea

the wording on the Microsoft website it ambiguous, I haven't checked your version number, but who doesn't win for a service pack?

I'm guessing that your company is using web edition because it's cheaper. so maybe the question we should be helping you with is "why do you need memory optimised tables?" - are you missing indexes?  do you have disk I/O issues?

just asking so that either myself or someone smarter can give you some guidance... In my opinion in memory tables are the worst thing  every invented 🙂

MVDBA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply