File connection managers created by scope variables

• I have taken three dtsx files and re written them into one each in its own container. I use the file system task alot which the connection is set by a variable and the variable value is evaluated by expression (the expression makes up the path from other variable values). All the variables that make up the connection are at the container scope. The file package will not run now because it is saying that the source and destination (created by variables) for the file connection do not exist.

It seems the answer is that file connections exist at the package level therefore the variable has to be at the package level. This seems to be alot of variables i now have to move to package level to generate the source or destination Paths. Which in essence makes it confusing as to which variables operate in which container.

My question is can we easily move variable scope (Not ideal as we have alot of variables at package level) Or Can we do the same for connection managers as we do for variables and have them only used in a scope? (this will be ideal as some connections only need to be at a container scope)

• Mike,

Have you tried setting the DelayValidation property on the file connection manager(s) to True?

Norman Kelm

DTS Package Search

http://www.dtspackagesearch.com/

• Yes i do have delay validation set to true. I made a mistake above the connection for the file task is ste by a variable their is an option isDestinationPathVariable and that is set to true and uses the scope variable to set the path. I then use the xml Task to do xpath queries, it is the xml task which needs to use a connection in connection manager but the file connection must be set by the same variable.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply