Favourite Tools?

• I too have tended to use the included tools for most things. As I have evaluated many third party tools, with the exception of Log Explorer (which I use), they are often turn out to be only marginally better than what MS provides out of the box. However, I have recently found something that truly adds needed functionality for me as a DBA. I would suggest that anyone with a critical SQL Server instance check out Precise Indepth for SQL Server!

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• I used DBArtisan (mainly because we had Oracle, Sybase and SQL Server). Liked it alot!

• I have recently started using Visual Studio.NET as an alternative to EM. It has a similar tree view interface for exploring SQL Servers and has the ability to edit stored procs using sourcesafe! (yay!) We use SQL Litespeed for backups...it is sensational. I am currently evaluating other tools and am quite impressed with NETIQ Diagnostic manager and Quest Spotlight on SQL Server.

• How about the SQLEXECMS util?

it gives you tree-views, object-comparison (schema, no data), server-status (disk etc.) , dependencies, and autocpmplete in the SQL panel :->

No to mention exporting recordsets to excel, xml, text (as insert-statements!), etc.

and it's FREE$$$! (you can find it in this site's download section)

definitely my thumbs-up!

- Avi

• The only product that we have purchased is the RedGate bundle. It works well for us.

I am currently looking at NetIQ's Management suite, but I don't think management will go for it...

Most of the time for me it's QA, Profiler and I graph all the stats etc in Excel...

Clive Strong

sqlsrvr_dba@hotmail.com

• this one is a very handy tool that tackles the database (and TSQL) version control and change managment problem, and also offers the integration of SQL Server and SourceSafe:

http://www.nobhillsoft.com/randolph.aspx

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply