Failed to Login to SQL Server - when using Litespeed Restore Wizard

• I am trying to restore a DB using the Litespeed restore wizard, but after I click on 'Start' it gives the error 'Failed to Login to SQL Server'.

I have full admin rights on the server and the DB.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Hi,

I had the same error when performing a log backup with Litespeed on an sql instance other than the default instance. I was using the sp  xp_backup_log, but not the GUI.  When I used the parameter @servername = 'somename' I got the following error if somename is something else than the actual instance i.e. server\instance if I omit this parameter it also works fine.  Hope this helps.

Msg 49999, Level 19, State 1, Line 1

Failed to login to SQL Server

Pall A. Gudmundsson

• I hit this error today ... in my case, someone changed the admin account which starts up sql server so that : a) it was a user in a the database I was trying to backup, and b) the permissions for that user added was less than DBO (reader, ddl-admin)

Once I deleted the user account everything worked.

• I got this error today too. I logged on as the service account and the default database for the service account was for a database that was deleted, so it had a logon error. I changed the default DB to master and everything worked.

• Getting the same error on a SQL 2005 (9.00.3042 - Developer Edition) server. Was working fine a few weeks ago. Nothing I know of has changed, and now getting the failed to login error:

Msg 49999, Level 19, State 1, Line 0

Failed to login to SQL Server

Have tried reinstalling litespeed and re-running the instance configuration, etc.

Haven't changed the SQL service account, and it doesnt matter who I run the restore command as (i.e. sa, my domain admin account, etc).

Cheers,
    Dave

• This might be a unique situation but, we did found the cause to our situation with regards to this error.

Our SQL sever 2005 environment is running in a active/passive cluster environment. The AD account used for the cluster service was mistakenly setup with out checking the password never expires. Hence, the password had expired which generated this error when Litespeed was invoked to backup the databases. Only by rebooting the passive node did we realize this as it could not join the cluster. After setting the service account to have the password never to expire did the error go away.

• This happened to me today and I fixed it by changing the SQL Server service to run as Local System instead of Network Service.

• Running SQL Server under the Local System account is dangerous as the account has far more privileges than it needs. Try to avoid this if at all possible and check the Microsoft recommended best practices - SQL Server Service should run under a purposefully created Domain Account.

• We had the exact same issue and creating an Alias on the server worked for us!

• Creating Alias worked for me.

-SQLHarry

• I had the same problem except that one database out of job with 12 restores and multiple other jobs with a total around 250 restores would fail.

While the job is owned by SA (helps avoids windows authentication issues) the Service account was a login on the server but not part of the SysAdmin role except through Administrators group permission.

I gave the service account SysAdmin role, and hopefully this will work from now on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply