Extremely basic Instance naming convention - Opinion needed

• Hello All,
    I may be sounding so 101 but I don't shy out asking questions like this and that's what makes me unique 😉 . And yes, I am a SQL DBA for the last 5 years and started my career as a developer before that. All right, enough about me now the question is...

My team started discussing the pros and cons of having an instance name same vs different for a SQL Cluster with say 4 nodes and AAGs on top of it.

The only thing that I can think of is keeping the instance name same will make it easy during installation when I do it with a config file if I have a same instanceID for all my instances on the servers. Another team mate thinks its good to have different instance names because we can avoid certain users connect to individual replicas (since they cannot guess that we keep our instance names separate ). While I wait on opinions from the rest of the team, I thought of collecting your opinions as well. Any suggestions?

--Pra:-):-)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Are any of the AGs auto failover? if so you would want the same instance name wouldn't you? Else there would be a configuration issue of having to update the config files to reflect the new instance name...

• No we set the AGs to failover manually. I know, it kind of destroys the purpose. Good point on the instance naming for auto failover AGs though! Thanks

--Pra:-):-)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply