Extract quoted text elements from varchar column

• I need to extract specific text elements from a varchar column. There are three keywords in any given string: "wfTask," "wfStatus" and "displayReportFromWorkflow." "wfTask" and "wfStatus" can appear multiple times, but always as a pair and will each be followed by by "==" (with or without surrounding spaces). "displayReportFromWorkflow" is always followed by "(" and there can be spaces on either side. The text elements will be between a pair of double quotes, and following one of keywords. For each row, I need to return the task, status and report name.

declare @t table (rowID int, textValue varchar(1024))

insert @t

(rowID, textValue)

values

(1, 'wfTask=="Issuance" && wfStatus=="Issued" ^ var params =aa.util.newHashMap(); params.put("PermitNumber", capId.getCustomID());displayReportFromWorkflow("General Permit", params);'),

(2, 'wfTask == "Issuance" && wfStatus == "Issued" || wfTask == "Review" && wfStatus == "Denied" ^ var params = aa.util.newHashMap(); displayReportFromWorkflow("Capacity Letter Type III", params);')

Output:

rowID, Task, Status, ReportName

----- --------- ------- ------------------------

1, Issuance, Issued, General Permit

2, Issuance, Issued, Capacity Letter Type III

2, Review, Denied, Capacity Letter Type III

I started with a string splitter using the double quote character, referencing elements "i" and "i+1" where the text like '%wfTask%' or '%wfStatus%' or '%displayReportFromWorkflow%', but the case of multiple task/status in a row has confounded me so far.

Unfortunately, CLR is not an option.

Any help is appreciated.

Don Simpson

I'm not sure about Heisenberg.

• I can't think of any way to generate the extra record that duplicates information from what would be the "previous" record, and have it happen in a query. You could do this with a cursor, but a VBScript might be faster if the number of records of varchar information is large. An SSIS package might be in order...

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply