Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (3/13/2013)

There are currently two drawbacks. The GUI only exists in 2012. A little bit of an issue, but you can get a GUI for 2008 from CodePlex. The Distributed Replay tool that comes with 2012 is still using trace events.

Other than those two issues, there's every reason to use extended events.

The intent of Distributed Replay is first to facilitate upgrade testing to SQL Server 2012, so it had to be trace based since Extended Events doesn't exist prior to 2008 and the events in 2008 don't provide the required information to make a replay possible. If you look at it from that standpoint, it's not a drawback. The only clients I've had use DReplay so far were not on SQL Server 2012 where Extended Events would be able to generate most of the same replay events necessary.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Grant Fritchey (3/13/2013)

SQLKnowItAll (3/13/2013)

When is the book coming out Grant? I am going to be one of the first buyers...

Ha! Don't hold your breath. I still haven't received the first chapter.

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

It should be out by the end of summer, early fall. The first two chapters are done and will be in Grants hands soon enough.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Jonathan Kehayias (3/15/2013)

Grant Fritchey (3/13/2013)

SQLKnowItAll (3/13/2013)

When is the book coming out Grant? I am going to be one of the first buyers...

Ha! Don't hold your breath. I still haven't received the first chapter.

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

It should be out by the end of summer, early fall. The first two chapters are done and will be in Grants hands soon enough.

Jonathan, you're not supposed to read my comments here. Ha! 😛

This should be a heck of a book.

And I didn't know about the Distributed Replay target. Makes sense, but I still would have liked to see it consume ExEvents too. It's far too good a piece of software to not be able to use the other good software they've provided us.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply