Express Edition

• cfradenburg (8/10/2012)

(Bob Brown) (8/10/2012)

No comment on QOD!

You're just posting to get your point back then? 🙂

And I am making a comment in that "no comment" about this QOTD!!!

• In short, I got a job offer last week for a 50%+ pay increase. I accepted it, and submitted my resignation at my current employer. Four days later the offer was rescinded. Sparing everyone the rest of the details, let's just say the rest of the week has been "interesting".

And that's why you shouldn't resign your current work until you have signed contract with your new employer.

I learned this the hard way... three times :crying:

• Great easy question. I knew the answers right off, but for whatever reason my hand/brain coordination was off and I picked an incorrect selection. Still, it's a good start to the weekend. Even though I didn't get the point, I knew the answer and that's all the matters. 😀

Everything is awesome!

• I didn't know they'd increased the maximum size for SQL Server Express 2008 R2, so thanks for the question!

• Thanks for the question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLPhil (8/10/2012)

It's one of those questions where you've got to re-read the answers several times before selecting. I've come a-cropper a couple of times this week by diving in too quickly. But it's a Friday. I took my time and got my point. The weekend's looking better already. 😀

I agree that the questions were a bit hard to read. That is mostly due to Microsoft's poor choice in naming (SQL2008R2 is simply too much like SQL2008), but also a bit due to how the answers were presented. To test the same knowledge without making the answers hard to read, how about putting it like this:

* Maximum database size in SQL Server 2005 Express is 4GB

* Maximum database size in SQL Server 2005 Express is 10GB

* Maximum database size in SQL Server 2008 Express is 4GB

* Maximum database size in SQL Server 2008 Express is 10GB

* Maximum database size in SQL Server 2008R2 Express is 4GB

* Maximum database size in SQL Server 2008R2 Express is 10GB

(And then obviously changing the question to request THREE correct answers instead of two)

Other than this minor quibble, I think it's a good question.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis (8/10/2012)

SQLPhil (8/10/2012)

It's one of those questions where you've got to re-read the answers several times before selecting. I've come a-cropper a couple of times this week by diving in too quickly. But it's a Friday. I took my time and got my point. The weekend's looking better already. 😀

I agree that the questions were a bit hard to read. That is mostly due to Microsoft's poor choice in naming (SQL2008R2 is simply too much like SQL2008), but also a bit due to how the answers were presented. To test the same knowledge without making the answers hard to read, how about putting it like this:

* Maximum database size in SQL Server 2005 Express is 4GB

* Maximum database size in SQL Server 2005 Express is 10GB

* Maximum database size in SQL Server 2008 Express is 4GB

* Maximum database size in SQL Server 2008 Express is 10GB

* Maximum database size in SQL Server 2008R2 Express is 4GB

* Maximum database size in SQL Server 2008R2 Express is 10GB

(And then obviously changing the question to request THREE correct answers instead of two)

Other than this minor quibble, I think it's a good question.

I agree the questions and answers could be presented better.

• dawargo (8/10/2012)

Wow, what a crappy bout of luck, that sounds like something that would happen to me. Hope everything works out for you.

Of course it will. I spent a few hours feeling sorry for myself, and then ran into a friend who had found out his mom had cancer. Easy to keep your spirits up when you feel grateful. And, it's easy to do that if you look around. It's usually not too hard to find someone else who has it worse than you do.

Maybe this will be the nudge that gets me into independent consulting. Only problem is, I probably wouldn't get along with the boss! :w00t:

At any rate, thanks to those who sent good wishes my way. I appreciate it.

Sorry if I introduced an off topic item into the discussion, but I think you can see why it was on my mind. Misery shared, and all that.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Toreador (8/10/2012)

SQLPhil (8/10/2012)

It's one of those questions where you've got to re-read the answers several times before selecting.

and then select the wrong options anyway, even though you know the answer:angry:

+1

• Good question, definitely had to re-read the question/answers couple of times before selecting the correct ones.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Like Hugo, I think the question would have been better if worded differently (perhaps not quite so differently as to miss out the 2GB option for SQL 2005, though - several people selected that option, even though they were asked to select two and that one contradicted all the others). The SQL Server content of the question was fine, but the presentation made it into more a test of reading and concentration skill than of SQL Server knowledge.

Tom

• Good question! I knew this as a result of the research I did a while ago about new features in R2.

• Liked that question, but had to scratch through BOL for a while to get it right, just because I haven't used the Express editions. I'm lucky to get to use the Developers editions as part of my job, so no exposure to it.

As a matter of interest, who uses 2005/2008/2008R2/2012 Express Editions and for what? Personal stuff, helping friends out, studying, mini-projects within the company, real-hardcore development? Or something else?

Edit: I meant "who uses ... Express Editions" and not "Developer Editions"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/13/2012)

As a matter of interest, who uses 2005/2008/2008R2/2012 Developer Editions and for what? Personal stuff, helping friends out, studying, mini-projects within the company, real-hardcore development? Or something else?

Well, I currently use 2008 R2 Developer Edition and 2008 R2 Express Edition - mainly for playing with. Used to use SQL 2008 Developer Edition, also mainly for playing with. Mainly for playing with is because I'm mostly retired these days. Used SQL 2008 developer Edition, SQL 2008 Standard Edition, and SQL 2008 Express Edition for evaluation a few years back, when deciding (decision was yes) whether our products should be changed to use 2008 from 2000 (we skipped 2005).

Tom

• Easy question..

+1 :-P:-P

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply