Exporting to Excel

• Hi,

I'm exporting to an Excel file, when this exports over a local connection it opens Excel and all is well. However when the same report is exported from a browser that is connected remotely all I get what looks like an embedded html page.

This is the header ->

MIME-Version: 1.0
    X-Document-Type: Workbook
    Content-Type: multipart/related;boundary="----=_NextPart_01C35DB7.4B204430"
    This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
    ------=_NextPart_01C35DB7.4B204430
    Content-Type: text/html;
    charset="utf-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    Content-Location: file:///c:/Report.htm

Can anyone help me please?

Regards

Colin

• Hi Colin,

I do a lot of work on SQL server as well as making use of Excel on the server as well as using Excel for reporting purposes. I will see if I can help however I don't understand your explanation at the top well enough.....Try and explain again if you don'y mind.... 

• Hi Recce,

thanks for taking the time to reply.

Firstly the RS is installed on a 2003 server. I connect to this network via a Microsoft VPN connection.

If I remote desktop to a server on the remote network (any of the servers it makes no difference) browse from there to the RS server the reports can be exported to excel fine.

If I browse from my local workstation to the RS Server, the report does not export to excel correctly, the difference here is the report is being exported over the remote connection.

Regards

Colin

• Hi Colin,

I must be honest, I am a bit unsure where your problem is lying ......however, since you are working in a VPN environment it could be that maybe it is a rights issue on the network.....but, on the other hand the error that you provided says something about the actual Excel object and it's workbook...( X-Document-Type: Workbook )...also that there is some boundry that prohibits you from exporting to Excel and I think it may be that you are exporting more that one sheet....am I right....? The error also says someting about the location of your report. U should try and make use of a UNC filepath where possible....also, try and save it as a .csv instead an Excel if possible since the .csv is not object related....Sorry but that is as far as I can help.. 

• Hi Recce,

Unfortunately this Reporting Service install is for users who wouldn't know what a csv file is, let alone saving it to disk and then opening it in excel later. Its the Export feature in RS that we are using, and opening it or saving the excel file to disk makes no difference when connecting remotely. Ill try a more simple report to see if it makes a difference however this is only 1 sheet - still its not going to be any good to me if I cannot export this report. The path is being set by RS not by me, it must be the temporary path used when the report is being viewed.

Thanks again for you input.

Colin

• Check your version of Excel, you must have the latest version of Excel 2000 or Excel 2003 to work with Reporting Services.

• It's version 2000 that is opening the excel file after downloading it from the remote server, however its 2003 on the server thats creating the report - Hmmm looks like illl have to try it on an Excel version of 2003 local to see if this is the problem.

Thanks for your input - Ill see what happens.

•  

I think you must use office 2002 or office 2003 for export excell reports.

• Yes.  The version of Excel must be 2002 (XP) or 2003 to be viewed.

• I have just started working on reporting services,as of now i am able create rdl files and generate report in default format. I have some following queries--

1)Saving reports in different file formats

2) Adding Custom Reports

3) Printing

4) Automatic Report Scheduling

I am looking for urgent help

u can reach me through govindpatil1@rediffmail.com

with regards

Govind

Kindest Regards,

Govind Patil

.NET Professional

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply