Export in SQL 7.0

• I tried exporting a database to a different server using the 'Export' Wizard.

The database I'm moving has the following files on the source server:

D:\SQL\DATA\BBIN.MDF

D:\SQL\DATA\BBIN.LDF

On the new server the files should be located in the following directories:

D:\SQL\DATA\BBIN.MDF

E:\SQL\LOG\BBIN.LDF

The database does not exist on the new server when I start the Export, so I have to define it via NEW and size the data and log files according to the specifications of the model database on the target server.

The model database on the target server has the following files:

D:\SQL\DATA\modeldev.MDF

E:\SQL\LOG\modellog.LDF

(Thanks to the last tip)

Problem: The Export does not move the source log file onto the E: drive on the target server, instead it places it on the D: drive.

Question: Is there a way to persuade SQL on the target server to create the log files on the E: drive, when using the Export?

The master, tempdb and model logs are all on the E: drive on the target server. I thought this would persuade the Export function to create the log files on the E: drive.

Thanks for tips. I searched the KB, but couldn't find any infos. It's a bit of a trial and error when searching the KB. If you don't know the keywords, then you tend to get rubbish results back.

Searching the KB articles is like

picking your nose. You never know

what you'll find.

• I suggest connecting to the remote server and build the database there not thru the new function of Export wizrd, this way you have more control over what happens as far as the files log placement. Then you the export wizard to export to that new db you created.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply