Exec SQL Task Output parameters

• Hi,

I am using a Execute SQL Task to call a Stored Procedure and pass it a single Input Parameter. This worked fine, the SQL reads :

sp_REPLICATE_PopulateDestination_IUD ?

the ? Parameter gets its value from a Global Parameter.

But, when I try to get the OutputParameters (there are 3 columns in the recordset returned by the SP) and try to assign them to Global Parameters it does not assign/change the values of the Global Parameters. Even if I assign it to a RowSet (ADO Recordset) the Global Parameter stays Null.

Could this be a BUG ? The values returned are all integers, same as the Global Variables. The SP does run successfully independantly of the DTS process and returns the 3 columns.

Any help welcomed,

Dirk

• Can you provide a sample of your data and the DDL of the tables involved. Also give me the steps to recreate this problem as I have no issues.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Hi,

I did find a suggested solution at http://www.sqldts.com/main.asp?nav=1,6,234,0

I followed it to a tee, but still the SP's return values does not override my Packages' Global Variables.

The SP that I use builds a few dynamic SQL statements and then

EXEC sp_executesql @DynamicSQL

them. Do you want the source code of my SP ?

Maybe you can try and simulate the above sample and see if you can get it working.

Another problem is that when I manage to call a SP that returns OUTPUT parameters and map them to Global Variables (via an Exec SQL Task) I cannot use the ? for Input parameters in conjunction with it.

I am thinking of doing the whole thing in a ActiveX script rather than using the Input and Output parameters of a Exec SQL Task functionality.

Any comment welcomed.

Thanks,

Dirk

• ActiveX seems like a slution, but yes I would be interested in your code to see what is happening. I feel the dynamic SQL is blowing you out of the water with the data as it will exist outside the current scope of execution. Let me see then I can offer what I think will work.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Here is the SP's code :

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' Name: sp_REPLICATE_PopulateDestination_IUD
    '
    ' Purpose: Build a dynamic SQL Strings to syncronise data from CASReplica (Source) to
    ' IMSLive (Destination) as per a certain TransferID on the TransferTable
    '
    ' Returns: Nothing
    '
    ' Usage: Used by IMS Replication DTS Routines
    '
    ' Change history:
    '
    ' Date Who Change
    ' ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' 15/03/2002 DV Initial version.
    '
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

CREATE PROCEDURE sp_REPLICATE_PopulateDestination_IUD (@RecIns integer OUTPUT,@RecUpd integer OUTPUT,@RecDel integer OUTPUT, @TransferID as integer)

AS

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    DECLARE @DynamicSQL nvarchar(4000)

DECLARE @SourceDB varchar(50)
    DECLARE @SourceTable varchar(50)
    DECLARE @SourceField varchar(50)

DECLARE @DestDB varchar(50)
    DECLARE @DestTable varchar(50)
    DECLARE @DestField varchar(50)

DECLARE @DataConvert bit
    DECLARE @udfName varchar(50)
    DECLARE @UpdateSQL varchar(4000)
    DECLARE @InsertSQL varchar(4000)
    DECLARE @DestSQL varchar(2000)
    DECLARE @SourceSQL varchar(2000)

--DECLARE @ReturnString nvarchar(250)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

BEGIN

--Get DB and Table Detail
    SELECT @SourceDB = SourceDB, @SourceTable = SourceTable, @DestDB = DestDB, @DestTable = DestTable
    FROM TransferTable
    WHERE TransferID = @TransferID

--SET @ReturnString = 'Table : ' + @DestDB + '.[dbo].' + @DestTable

-- Delete records in IMSLive (Destination) that does not exist in CASStaging (Source)
    SELECT @DynamicSQL = 'DELETE ' + @DestDB + '.[dbo].' + @DestTable +
    ' FROM ' + @DestDB + '.[dbo].' + @DestTable +
    ' Dest LEFT OUTER JOIN ' + @SourceDB + '.[dbo].' + @SourceTable +
    ' Source ON Dest.UDFGUID = Source.UDFGUID WHERE (Source.UDFGUID IS NULL)'

--PRINT@DynamicSQL
    EXEC sp_executesql @DynamicSQL;
    --SET @ReturnString = @ReturnString + ', Deleted : ' + LTrim(Str(@@RowCount)) + ' record(s)'
    SET @RecDel = @@RowCount

--Update records in IMSLive (Destination) that that has a newer UpdateDate in CASStaging (Source)
    DECLARE MapCURSOR CURSOR LOCAL FOR
    SELECT SourceField, DestField, DataConvert, udfName
    FROM TransferField
    WHERE TransferID = @TransferID

OPEN MapCURSOR

FETCH NEXT
    FROM MapCURSOR
    INTO @SourceField, @DestField, @DataConvert, @udfName

SELECT @UpdateSQL = 'UPDATE ' + @DestDB + '.[dbo].' + @DestTable + ' SET '
    SELECT @SourceSQL = ''
    SELECT @DestSQL = ''

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
    BEGIN
    IF @DataConvert = 1
    BEGIN
    SELECT @UpdateSQL = @UpdateSQL + '[' + @DestField + ']' + '=[dbo].' + @udfName + '(SOURCE.' + '[' + @SourceField + ']),'
    SELECT @SourceSQL = @SourceSQL + '[dbo].' + @udfName + '(SOURCE.[' + @SourceField + ']),'
    END
    ELSE
    BEGIN
    SELECT @UpdateSQL = @UpdateSQL + '[' + @DestField + ']' + '=SOURCE.' + '[' + @SourceField + '],'
    SELECT @SourceSQL = @SourceSQL + 'SOURCE.[' + @SourceField + '],'
    END
    SELECT @DestSQL = @DestSQL + '[' + @DestField + '],'

FETCH NEXT
    FROM MapCURSOR
    INTO @SourceField, @DestField, @DataConvert, @udfName
    END

CLOSE MapCURSOR
    DEALLOCATE MapCURSOR

--Delete the last comma
    SELECT @UpdateSQL = SubString(@UpdateSQL, 1, DataLength(@UpdateSQL) - 1)
    SELECT @SourceSQL = SubString(@SourceSQL, 1, DataLength(@SourceSQL) - 1)
    SELECT @DestSQL = SubString(@DestSQL, 1, DataLength(@DestSQL) - 1)

SELECT @UpdateSQL = @UpdateSQL + ' FROM ' + @SourceDB + '.[dbo].' + @SourceTable + ' SOURCE,' + @DestDB + '.[dbo].' + @DestTable + ' DEST'
    SELECT @UpdateSQL = @UpdateSQL + ' WHERE SOURCE.UDFGUID = DEST.UDFGUID AND SOURCE.UPDATEDATE > DEST.UPDATEDATE'
    --PRINT @UpdateSQL
    SELECT @DynamicSQL = @UpdateSQL
    EXEC sp_executeSQL @DynamicSQL
    --SET @ReturnString = @ReturnString + ', Updated : ' + LTrim(Str(@@RowCount)) + ' record(s)'
    SET @RecUpd = @@RowCount

--Insert new records that does not exits in the Dest
    SELECT @InsertSQL = 'INSERT INTO ' + @DestDB + '.[dbo].' + @DestTable + '(' + @DestSQL + ') ' +
    'SELECT ' + @SourceSQL + ' FROM ' + @SourceDB + '.[dbo].' + @SourceTable + ' Source ' +
    'LEFT OUTER JOIN ' + @DestDB + '.[dbo].' + @DestTable + ' Dest ' +
    'ON Source.UDFGUID = Dest.UDFGUID WHERE (Dest.UDFGUID IS NULL)'

--PRINT @InsertSQL
    SELECT @DynamicSQL = @InsertSQL
    EXEC sp_executeSQL @DynamicSQL
    --SET @ReturnString = @ReturnString + ', Inserted : ' + LTrim(Str(@@RowCount)) + ' record(s)'
    SET @RecIns = @@RowCount

--SELECT @RecIns as RecIns, @RecUpd as RecUpd, @RecDel as RecDel

RETURN 1

END
    GO

I will mail you the DTS Packages' Structured Storage File.

Thanks again fir the help, let me know what else your require.

Regards,

Dirk

• James,

This is getting to a level of confusion. Why can't you build the package from the file I mailed you ? All you have to do is build a simple sample DTS Package that calls a SP with OUTPUT parameters and try to override the DTS Package's local Global Variables with the values returned by the SP.

Do you want me to mail you my DB script ?

Let me know, in the meanwhile I am following Plan B, building a ActiveX script to handle the whole process.

Dirk

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply