exec DTS from VB

• Hi, I execute a DTS package from VB application, but getting some weird result here.

There are some PC that successfully run the application, but there is one slower PC with SQL2K developer edition installed on NT workstation failed to run the DTS package from the application.

I'm not sure that the problem is within VB or SQL2K. So I tried to trace the problem using profiler and got this result:

From Profiler

A. Sucessfully run application

2. EventClass SQL:BatchCompleted

Text Data exec msdb..sp_get_dtspackage N'dtsName', null, null

Application: XYZ

3. EventClass AuditLogin

Text Data -- network protocol: Named Pipes set quoted_identifier on set .. and so on

Application: DTS Designer

4. DTS Designer next steps

B. Failed application

2. EventClass SQL:BatchCompleted

Text Data exec msdb..sp_get_dtspackage N'dtsName', null, null

Application: XYZ

3. Stops here and no more process is traced

It seems to me that the DTS Designer fails to run. What's wrong?

Any help would be appreciated, TIA

• Are you sure both PCs have the correct libraries registered?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• yes i'm sure. i tried reinstalling MDAC and also failed. any other idea? thanks for the reply, i am walking in a dark path here.

• I don't think Steve meant the MDAC components but the ones from SQL itself. Usually found under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn or some variant are the files (custtask.dll, dtspkg.dll, and dtspump.dll). They may not be loaded into the registry properly or when SQL 2K was installed the person doing may have choose custom and not installed DTS components at all. If not there do a reinstall, if there try REGSVR32 path+file -u to unregister then do REGSVR32 path+file to reregister and reboot (note: this needs to be done sometimes under an account with admin rights). If either of these do not correct the problem is more in depth.

• Yes, that's what I was thinking. The MDAC is for data access, the DTS libraries are the designer and the executable environment. Sorry, but I've never deployed DTS anywhere but a SQL machine, so I'm not sure what's needed.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I don't know what the licensing issues are with DTS and may require a lincense for Enterprise Manager. But looking at the files dependencies I did not see anything that did not already exist on the OS that they would need. Unfortunately I don't have a machine free just to try registering those components by themselves and seeing if the will work.

• Hi again, back from unhappy weekend thinking of this problem. thanks for your replies.

if i successfully execute the dts packages from the SQL Server, does that mean the SQL2K DLLs are complete?

The failure only happens when the DTS packages are executed from my application.

But the weird thing is that this behaviour only can be found only in this PC, and the user has to use that PC. *g*

any hint/suggestion would greatly be appreciated.

TIA

• If all you did was change the install or register those DLL's, then yes and that was the answer. If they don't, then keep looking or reimage that machine. Otherwise if you did anything else then most likely was the DLL's but you will never be sure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply