EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL

• Hi All,

I am in a deep trouble.

I have sql server 2000 running in my server with sp3. In the last week I had the error in the event viewer which says

"ODBC: Msg 0, Level 19, State 1

SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 51 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process."

When this error comes my sql server is hung up and I need to restart either the system or sql server.

Now this week , I comes randomly by atleast once in two hours.

I am in need of your help immediately.

Thanks

Babu

• Access Violation could be SQL Server bugs mostly and you should contact Microsoft SQL Server Support. If it can be confirmed as a bug, They wouldn't charge you.

Did you see such error before upgrading to service pack 3?

• To add to what Allen said...

Have you turned on Profiler to catch the offending code??  the error tells you which process caused the crash and you should be able to catch it and then see if the problem is with SQL or possibly a runaway proc/query or even an intrusion attempt..

Good Luck

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Hi AJ,

• Are there any dump files?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I cannot proceed with the server when I receive this error. Because server will hung up. 

Regarding the dump file, where should I search for the dump file.

Thanks

Babu

• From my recollection, the crash dump files are put in the same folder as the SQL Error logs (ie ..\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$instancename\LOG

or ..\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\LOG depending on whether or not you have a named instance.)

Tony

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply