Excel source output - E-2 values

• Hi,

I am using an Excel source to upload data to Netezza. However, due to some weird reason the excel source output for many columns adds E-2, E-4, E-05 to the end of values and it shows up something like 2.54258742543E-5.
    The datatype for Excel Source Output (External Columns) for the affected columns is double-precision float [DT_R8] by default. These are actually % values in the Excel sheet with values like 1.42545038678714% going upto 15 decimal places. 
    I have tried various datatypes in the Output Columns like DT_WSTR(Unicode String) and DT_STR(String) and also tried to keep the default datatype which is double-precision float [DT_R8]  but the values still show up as 1.425450386787E-2 (example).

Has anybody seen this scenario or found this issue in SSIS ? Any suggestions / help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• pwalter83 - Monday, October 22, 2018 5:33 AM

Hi,

I am using an Excel source to upload data to Netezza. However, due to some weird reason the excel source output for many columns adds E-2, E-4, E-05 to the end of values and it shows up something like 2.54258742543E-5.
    The datatype for Excel Source Output (External Columns) for the affected columns is double-precision float [DT_R8] by default. These are actually % values in the Excel sheet with values like 1.42545038678714% going upto 15 decimal places. 
    I have tried various datatypes in the Output Columns like DT_WSTR(Unicode String) and DT_STR(String) and also tried to keep the default datatype which is double-precision float [DT_R8]  but the values still show up as 1.425450386787E-2 (example).

Has anybody seen this scenario or found this issue in SSIS ? Any suggestions / help would be appreciated. Thanks.

That's probably just Excel being its usual helpful self.

1.42545038678714% would be stored in Excel as 0.0142545038678714, which is 1.42545038678714 * 10^(-2), or 1.42545038678714 E-2.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• This is the same number, formatted as Scientific (left) and General (right).

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Monday, October 22, 2018 5:54 AM

This is the same number, formatted as Scientific (left) and General (right).

Thanks Phil.

Do you know if this issue can be resolved at the staging layer itself.

The requirement of the business is to get clean data from Excel sheet as is in staging area without any E-2 etc values.

Do you know if it is achievable ? Thanks.

• pwalter83 - Monday, October 22, 2018 6:48 AM

Phil Parkin - Monday, October 22, 2018 5:54 AM

Thanks Phil.

The requirement of the business is to get clean data from Excel sheet as is in staging area without any E-2 etc values.

Not that I know of. Excel will present the data to SSIS using whatever display format is used when you open up the file in Excel.

The 'requirement of the business' should be to modify whatever is creating that Excel file to generate those percentages in General format. Or simply to use a CSV file.

Excel is a horrible tool for any sort of data transfer.

• Phil Parkin - Monday, October 22, 2018 7:04 AM

pwalter83 - Monday, October 22, 2018 6:48 AM

Phil Parkin - Monday, October 22, 2018 5:54 AM

Thanks Phil.

Not that I know of. Excel will present the data to SSIS using whatever display format is used when you open up the file in Excel.

The 'requirement of the business' should be to modify whatever is creating that Excel file to generate those percentages in General format. Or simply to use a CSV file.

Excel is a horrible tool for any sort of data transfer.

Thanks again Phil. Excel is really horrible for data transfer I have always known that but I just hope this issue is regarded as an Excel-SSIS limitation as opposed to lack of knowledge on my part 🙂

• pwalter83 - Monday, October 22, 2018 7:47 AM

Thanks again Phil. Excel is really horrible for data transfer I have always known that but I just hope this issue is regarded as an Excel-SSIS limitation as opposed to lack of knowledge on my part 🙂

IMO, it's purely an Excel issue, specifically with the ironically named 'ACE' drivers, which provide data as per its display format (rather than how the data is stored).
    Another great thing these drivers do is where you have financial data formatted using the 'Accounting' format. Any zeros in this data are passed to SSIS as '-', at which point SSIS terminates, with extreme prejudice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply