ETL Tool Selection / Recommendations

• I am looking for an ETL tool that can handle being pointed at a directory and loading each file (possibly with data driven dynamic destination logic built in...i.e. - If [Column 1] = 'ABC', target table dbo.EFG; If [Column 1] = 'XYZ', target table dbo.JKL; etc.). This would also be able to both move the file from the source folder to an archive folder once the data, and check the current file name against the list of archived files to see if the file has already been loaded.

Also on the wish list, the process would kick off specified stored procedures once loaded and / or have some form of business rules logic able to be built into the process.

I am just beginning to look for this software (I don't have time to develop it in house right now), and I could use some direction regarding what to start looking at. Thoughts?

[font="Arial"]“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
    - Albert Einstein

"DOH!"
    - Homer Simpson[/font]

• Sorry if this solution is too simplicistic (I might have missed something), but why do you think SSIS would not be the right tool for this task?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• I am not fully as familiar with SSIS yet. I have made a few packages, but I really have no more than the most basic exposure to it. After reading a few books / posts, I have seen that I should be looking at some of the 3rd party software more, so I was adding this in to SSIS as an option. At some point I would like to use SSIS as my primary, but I am looking for something that may work a little sooner.

[font="Arial"]“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
    - Albert Einstein

"DOH!"
    - Homer Simpson[/font]

• I'm not sure that you are going to find any software that magically does what you want without creating a customized package. SSIS is probably still going to be the easiest to configure.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• +1 for SSIS

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• johnitech.itech (1/31/2012)

🙂

Hello you can show the below Link for guide

Whoah, that's from 2006. That's old :w00t:

It doesn't even mention Microsoft as an ETL vendor. Tsk tsk tsk

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• jarid.lawson (1/30/2012)

I am not fully as familiar with SSIS yet. I have made a few packages, but I really have no more than the most basic exposure to it. After reading a few books / posts, I have seen that I should be looking at some of the 3rd party software more, so I was adding this in to SSIS as an option. At some point I would like to use SSIS as my primary, but I am looking for something that may work a little sooner.

You're far better off learning SSIS, the basics are not difficult to grasp.

• Cowboy DBA (1/31/2012)

jarid.lawson (1/30/2012)

I am not fully as familiar with SSIS yet. I have made a few packages, but I really have no more than the most basic exposure to it. After reading a few books / posts, I have seen that I should be looking at some of the 3rd party software more, so I was adding this in to SSIS as an option. At some point I would like to use SSIS as my primary, but I am looking for something that may work a little sooner.

You're far better off learning SSIS, the basics are not difficult to grasp.

Correct. You're going to need to learn something and SSIS is a pretty simple graphical interface. A lot of what you are after could be set up in less than an hour.

Key ones for you are:

-Foreach Loop Container

-Variable for filename

-Dataflow (Flatfile connection and OLEDB connection)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply